No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian vase? probably not.  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Scandinavian vase? probably not.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 01:21:16 AM »
So i'm to charge an extra:
50p for small items
£1 for medium items
£2 for large items

Or should I charge a bit more?

I hope these tips you're giving me are free.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 01:29:49 AM »
I think people start to baulk a bit at anything over £2 extra unless it's something big &/or expensive. Around £2.50 'handling' is the most I've ever charged and that was for a £162 item, but I did buy some packaging materials for that one.

These hints are a complementary gift from Pinkspoons New Media Marketing. Subscribe today to receive the full eBay selling guidance package!  :lol:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 11:29:35 AM »
Thanks.  :lol:

I think it must be Caithness. Saying that, some Caithness glass that I've had has a base that slopes inwards slightly. This one is flat.

I'm not suggesting that Caithness does not do flat bases though.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 11:33:50 AM »
This is true - I have one Caithness vase with a flat base. But all of the rest are indented.  :)

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Scandinavian Glass?
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 03:20:21 PM »

this blue vase has a very traditional foot used by Swedish glass companies in the 20th Century. The disk shape is very common in
Swedish glass.
Bill Geary

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 04:08:37 PM »
This style of foot has also been used in some Danish glass too. J.E. Bang did some vases for Holmegaard which included such bases.

Not that I'm suggesting for one moment that the vase is Holmegaard.  :)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 06:44:28 PM »
I think this might be Riihimaki by Nanny Still as an amber one appears on page 284 of Miller's Collectables Price Guide 2004.  :D

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 09:45:10 PM »
Hi Tiger

I had a look at J Miller 2004 pp284 - grouping of three pieces

I believe the grouping is Riihimaen but not by Nanny Still (not Caithness either)

J Miller is famous for bad attributions with all it's glass, especially Riihimaen, these price guides should always be treated with the utmost caution.

The vase in question, your vase and it's brother in J Miller are not in the Designlasin hintakirja by Nanny Still (a very accurate Finnish book with all designs by Still for Riihimaen) - so IMHO its not by Still

Why do I think it is Riihimaen?

Because this vase of mine is in the same grouping in the Miller book and has a Riihimaen acid etched stamp to base - I have two others the same without stamped base so don't worry about that

There were many designers at Riihimaen: Aladin, Okkolin, Siiroinen, etc. I don't know the maker of my piece as yet - so your vase is Riihimaen and may even be by the same designer as my vase :roll:  :?:  :roll:

This is all just my opinion, others may think differently

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 11:45:54 PM »
Thanks for clearing that one up.  :D

Quote from: "David555"
J Miller is famous for bad attributions with all it's glass, especially Riihimaen, these price guides should always be treated with the utmost caution.
Adam P

I know, i've had four or five experiences of this already.  :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand