No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salad Bowl is this Venini or Generic?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Salad Bowl is this Venini or Generic?
« on: July 12, 2010, 06:57:20 AM »
I have a minor conundrum. Saw the post by Whatho and wondered about this bowl all over again.

About 3 months ago we lost, in the post, a gold salad bowl I bought from the USA hoping it was Archimede Seguso. I was quite upset as I had been looking for one for a while. Anyway, I grabbed this one off ebay locally to do the job and on the outside chance it was Venini.

When it arrived it looked quite crude as the bends on the sides don't match, also I could not read Venini in the label. Then I looked again and I could see Venini, then I couldn't. :wsh:

Anyway I throw it open to you. I only paid $15 for it and it is a great salad bowl, so say whatever you like I will not be offended.

Size 32cmx23cmx12cm and weighs 1.53kgs.

thanks for looking.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Salad Bowl is this Venini or Generic?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »
The sig reads "Venini, Murano, Italia." It is their mid-century sig. It looks very authentic to me. Good eBay grab, especially for such a low price.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 07:29:33 PM »
CooL bowl Ardy!  Especially for the price.  I grabbed a mid century candle holder about a year ago for $2.00 that is crystal clear on Ebay.  There was only one though.  :spls2:  I guess that is why it was so cheap.  I was the only bidder but hey I love the candle holder!  I bought it for the cheap price and because of the 3 line acid etched sig. 

I do not think that your bowl looks crude in anyway at all.  This is totally Venini's style.  I think it is very elegant.  Magnificent find! :thup: 

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »
The bowl is a nice demonstration of the Venini base, with the ground, polished bottom and cancave, polished pontil area. The bowl looks simple, but it actually had a good bit of care in the making.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
Well blow me down! Thanks Anita and Tam Bam.

Just goes to show that a wild stab is often as good as a long considered rapier manoeuvre.

Alison's first question was "Can we still use it?" and I have decided we will use it as a salad bowl rather than put it in the collection. Shows some strength of mind or stupidity, depending on where your thoughts are coming from.

Anyway it is not Seguso so that is that.

regards

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
You can tell people you have a pricey salad bowl even though you did not pay that much for it. LOL!

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand