No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink Pressed glass, um, bowl thing ID = Chance Bros.  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Pink Pressed glass, um, bowl thing ID = Chance Bros.
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:05:16 AM »
Shame on me for not knowing what this is.  :oops:
Okay, it's probably some sort of bowl for holding food or fruit.

Difficult to see the true colour in these pictures. It's really a light pink colour and it's covered pink on the back but it has clear glass on the front.

This was so brown and dirty I wasn't even sure if it was carnival glass or not. Shame it turned out not to be carnival glass though.  :(

I can't say that I've ever seen this colour in pressed glass and that's what appealed to me. I'll admit that the pattern looks fairly boring but the colour attracted me to it.

Any comments welcome.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Pink Pressed glass, um, bowl thing
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 11:38:29 AM »
So is this a cheap process of spraying paint on the back of items? perhaps it is Amercan and was sold in carnivals, or not.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 12:39:17 PM »
I'm not sure about the glass (it's hard to say from a photo - I'd be more confident if I could hold it and look at it up close and personal), but the metal base looks English to me. I've seen similar on Sowerby and other UK makers. I doubt it's American.

Don't believe all this stuff you hear about glass being given away at Carnivals.  :lol:

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 12:17:29 AM »
Your right (as always), I've seen identical bases on eBay from Bagley and Davidsons (though eBay is never precise with attributions). None of them with this mottled pink colour to the outside though.

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 03:27:12 PM »
Don't attach any importance to the foot.  A lot of customers bought articles drilled (or drilled them themselves) and aquired the feet elsewhere (Birmingham area in the case of the UK).

Adam D.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 11:44:47 PM »
(depending on the size of course), the first thought that came to mind was that this was an old ceiling lamp fixture and someone decided to attach a base to it!   :D

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 09:24:57 AM »
It is 10½ inches diameter and 5 inches high.  :D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 10:59:02 PM »
TC I saw two smaller flat dishes with the same pattern today - no wavy edge, but one has a central hole and was pink like yours, the other had no hole and was milk white. In the centre of each was the word Chance in smallish script (the one with the hole said Ch.....e as the hole went through the middle of the word!).

Not what I'd have associated with Chance Glass for sure. Does yours have anything that looks like the same lettering round the central stand pin?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 08:39:07 AM »
Thanks Anne.

No writing at all, I even removed the stand beforehand to find out.

I did see a piece of pressed glass once with the Chance name on it. As far as I can remember, it had a wavey rim. It may have had the same wavey rim.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 10:03:42 AM »
"Waverly" bowl by Chance Brothers, produced from 1949-53. Photo shown in the article "Automated Table Glass Production in Britain since World War II" in the Journal of the Glass Association, Vol 5, 1997.

Anne, thanks for spotting the Chance name on those two bowls and thus solving the mystery. It reminded me where I had seen a photo and info on the bowl!

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand