No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for cylindrical vase with large bubble.  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for cylindrical vase with large bubble.
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:50:12 PM »
I know that Michelle did a post on one of these some while back, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it.   Now I don't know what the pointers are as to whether this is a real one, or something much cheaper.   So, my apologies for being a bit thick, and hope someone else can remember the link, and if I'm in the wrong place perhaps the mods. can move for me.  sincere thanks.   Paul S.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: id request for cylindrical vase with large bubble.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:08:24 PM »
Here's a thread on bubble-in-the-base vases. Maybe it will help. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2447.msg18069.html#msg18069

:)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:04:08 PM »
thanks very much Anik - you a very helpful member.   Must add you to my Christmas card list. :sun:   Mmmm.... not so easy as you think these bubble vases, but think my one is probably of middling quality, perhaps Marcus & Spencus sort of level  -is that the same as the Polish LSA  -  I don't really know.    However, I am fairly sure that mine is not Tapio Wirkkala - and I think I would now know one those, so I must carry on looking.   Again, my thanks for your help.   Paul S.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »
I'm sure someone knowledgable will come along and point you in the right direction...   :)

P.S. Although I am very well aware that I have been everything but helpful in 96% of my posts, I appreciate your buttery words  ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:27:13 AM »
LSA stuff is usually very good quality and its labelled stuff is quite desirable on fleabay. Your vase is pretty good quality; note the ground, polished and neatly chamfered rim. I wouldn't put its quality at less than than the Tapio Wirkkala version, just its desirability if it is an imitation. Anne's M&S one was made in China.

LSA is a design and import company; some of its stuff is Krosno and made in Poland, as is some of M&S's stuff. I have a labelled Krosno water/lemonade set bought from M&S in the 1970s. Krosno glass, when you can identify it, is good quality.

I was going to say that looking at the labelled TW Anne linked to, yours is not because the clear bit wasn't deep enough although the colour was good.. I changed my mind when I looked at Robbo's signed one. So maybe TW IMHO.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
Lustrousstone  -  my thanks for your knowledgable reply - and on reflection, yes, my glass does appear to be of good quality.....which is confirmed by the treatment of the classy looking rim.     I had noticed this difference in 'depth of clear' in relation to the colour  -  and I think also that the TW pieces have a noticeably larger hole in the base, or at least this is how Ann'e picture makes it appear.    It is good however, to learn a little more about a new subject, just a pity I don't have a label on my vase, as labels give that final confirmation of attribution, usually. :)    thanks again Christine.

Anik  -  sorry if I seemed a little patronizing  -  and thanks again for the initial link, it really helped.   Remember the self esteem bit.....you are much more valuable than you might imagine.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »
 :o  Paul, no offence was taken... 
And as for the much more valuable than you might imagine bit, I wouldn't be too sure...  I've got a HUGE imagination  :24:.

Nice vase, by the way...  My first impression was 'Polish', but the bubble is a bit rounder and fuller than what I'm used to seeing here. (Unfortunately I can't comment on the rim finish and quality as that is way beyond my knowledge.)  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand