No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Glittering Interlude: Visions of Satsuma-kiriko  (Read 4210 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
A Glittering Interlude: Visions of Satsuma-kiriko
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:33:04 AM »
A really informative book and with a huge amount of sumptuous photographs. This was originally published to support a long-running exhibition at the Suntory Museum of Art in Tokyo, 2009. If you are interested in Japanese history or culture, early glassmaking, some  exquisite examples of 19th century cut glass, the techniques used, then this book will not fail to stimulate. The influence of Bohemian intaglio glassmaking and cutting is quite obvious, but how the Japanese actually 'cut' the glass is quite amazing.

Title: A glittering interlude: Visions of Satsuma-kiriko
Pages: 240, with the vast majority in full-colour
Size: 263 x 195mm case bound (hardback)
Weight: nearly 1kg, so postage within the UK will be £2.84

See: http://www.suntory.com/culture-sports/sma/exhibition/09vol02/index.html

Now the problem! There is no ISBN and the only way to obtain a copy is for me to ship copies from Tokyo. To do this I can purchase a quantity from the museum, with help from Akiko Inoue Osumi, who kindly sent me a copy last year. The full retail price is 2300Yen (~ £17.30), but even after importing I can sell these for just £15.00 each plus postage.

I have included 4 photos from the book but, to be honest, these can never be truly representative of what's inside as it covers so much more.

If you are interested in obtaining a copy, please e-mail me by clicking the mail link (tiny envelope to the left of this message) with your advanced request. I do not need any money until the books are received.

Please Note: I will only be placing one order so I need to know within the next week or so.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: A Glittering Interlude: Visions of Satsuma-kiriko
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »
I ought to emphasise that this is dual-language book; Japanese and English. Professionally translated.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
 :hi:  sent request as instructed....how exciting and what an opportunity.  David thanks so much. :hiclp:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
Book now available - see café link for details!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand