No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: kaj franck?? please help identify  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
kaj franck?? please help identify
« on: July 13, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
please help id tumblers, Kaj Franck?? 7cm high, thanks

Robert.

Offline gfirob

• Members
Re: kaj franck?? please help identify
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »
Glasses very like this appear on page 108 of "Kaj Franck Designer" from the Museum of Applied Arts, Helsinki:

"Image 2744 -- Glass series
Blown Glass, thin bottom, clear, several colors, Hold, 8,9,12,30 cl. In production 1955-1967"

The photo is in black and white, but the proportions look the same.  They do not show the bottom, however, as your photograph does, but I think your glasses do look blown.
That's my best guess.
Rob

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
Strange capacities there? wonder how they're supposed to be measured...

I've got sets in three sizes, can't find the largest at the moment, but just measured the capacity when filled to about 5mm from the rim and the smaller 6cm high versions take roughly 12 cl. the larger 8cm high take roughly 18 cl.

Maybe I'm being greedy and topping them up to much?

I still think, as I said on the duplicate thread, although the shape and finish look right that if these are 7cm high then they are probably not early Kartio (pattern 2744) as I've never come across them at that height and many other companies made similar.

As ever, I may be wrong....

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:45:37 PM »
Thanks, that is interesting.

I noticed, looking again that on page 111 of the same Kaj Franck book there are tapered glasses like this in three sizes, (but out of focus in the background of a larger group of glass) at least one of which is very tall.  The caption reads:

5027, Cone shaped glass series.  Stackable pressed glass, clear, several colors.  Hold 6, 11, 16, 20, 34 cl.  In production 1958-1975

These might be the glasses in question as well.

Where is the duplicate thread on this?

Thanks again

rob

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:57:10 AM »
Hi Rob,

5027 are the pressed glass version designed ca.1956 and now produced by Iittala and marketed as Kartio.

2744 are thin blown glasses of basically the same form designed ca.1955 (commonly known these days also as Kartio although I think originally just known by the number)

The Viola range also used the same form from around 1960, but they were lower quality mass produced/machine made glasses and containers (what I think of as  'garage' or 'supermarket' glasses)

If these red glasses are Nuutajarvi at all they will be 5027, but until we can find some other reliable reference to them at this height my best guess is they were made by another, possibly Reijmyre?

The duplicate thread is in the general Glass ID section, but I'm sure the Mods will tidy it up.

Martyn.

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:10:13 AM »
Hi Martin, thanks for this info, ive had a brief look at Reijmyre glasses and maybe these are of the latter but can you give any info on the quantity of glasses issued in a set, as the Reijmyre set i have seen there were only six in the boxed set,  when i purchased these they were seven which leads me to think that originally might of been eight in the set, Many thanks.
Robert.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »
Hi,

Both the Kartio (2744) and Reijmyre sets came in tubes that hold six glasses..no doubt you could buy them on there own as well or of course more than one set.

The one center back in your photo looks slightly different, but maybe it's just the lighting or angle?

I really can't say they're not the Franck designs, just that I've not seen this size before and have had quite a few over the years, and the only reason I suggest Monica Bratt for Reijmyre is that they produced similar and had a liking for this lovely red colour.

If I do spot any Nuutajarvi ones this size I'll let you know.

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
Thankyou Martin, ive just looked again and measured them all this time, out of the six glasses, 3 measure 65mm and 3 measure 70mm, does this make any difference?
Thanks again Robert.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »
they do vary in size slightly, but normally within a couple of mm tolerance not a whole cm. Rob mentions four sizes in the book and I've only ever had/seen three sizes the largest of which is pretty rare...it's just possible yours are the missing fourth size, but with them all being red, no labels, no box or other reference the best I could say is maybe KF.

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
Thanks again Martyn for all your time and all info provided.
Robert.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand