No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: * CZECH mate --- with Label  (Read 13209 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: * CZECH mate --- with Label
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »
The Matura head vase is a dream!  Absolutely stunning, even if I've only seen it in a picture...  (As for the plate, I suppose it is nice, but like I said, I'm more of a vase kinda gal...).  :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »
I was the same about the plate until I saw it sat on my table and then went wow! :) It's one of those pieces that pics don't do justice to. (Shame it didn't stay on my table - it was only visiting!!!)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline quill

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 01:15:02 AM »
Just few from my collection. If anybody need a piece to complete colour row, let me know please.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

That’s pretty %$^*!! impressive!

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 08:20:38 AM »
Well, colours.
The father of Sklo Union research Marcus Newhall at page 140 of his book (www.sklounion.com) defined 12 standardised colours for Sklo Union pieces. He also noted that there are some "slight" differences in colours becouse of technology reasons. This is absoloutely true, we can doscover many other "inbetween" colours and I am afraid, that we will never complete the full scale. It sometimes differs one day to the next day in production.

The bullet vase itself was so ordinary and ussual in Czechoslovakia in 60ties that it can be the vase symbol of this period. It has been everywhere, in schools, offices, shops...Suprisingly not many of them survived in top quality and mint condition up to now - but considering more carefully - reason is clear - it had been widely used.

Simmilar it is with Jan Schmid wasted vase. Note please that Rudolf Schrötter (* 1897) and Jan Schmid (* 1936) were from different designers generation, they never met. The bullet vase was for Schrötter one from his last designs for Rosice in 1955, few years later he left fo his retairment in Germany, Jan Schmid has designed his wasted vase as a student's work in 1959/60 - he graduated in 1962. I met Jan 3 weeks ago, he promissed that he will take a look to his files to help us to cover his glass design period fully. Unfortnatelly in summer nothing goes so fast as one would like becouse of holidays.

Jan Schmid is since 60ties actor and stage director in small theater in Prague and quite popular person. Few years ago was issued his bibliography in nice book, but his shor life period when he was glass designer was omitted totally.  :D

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
 :hiclp: SUPER info Jindra, and very interesting.

I had never (nor recall) seeing these vases, but this was most likely due to less being around here, as compared to over there.  Most interesting facts, and great to know about the colors.  Bravo....

This one I bought - seems to be in excellent condition, as I felt no chips, and there is only a couple small bubbles in it

Again, Thanks for your Super information   :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 11:25:33 AM »
 :) Anik just happened to so very very precisely define my taste of glass too.
No way I would go for too complicated, gilded, murano, chribska, I think I learned a couple of new adjectives in English: "dainty" and "gaudy".   ;D Exactly.  Simple, even plain is what I like. And heavy!  (would love to see a Matura Head vase once)

There are some Finnish glass designs, well known too, that I love, of course. But I am not even thinking of trying to collect any myself, they are too expensive.  And I like to be controversial and different.  :) Czech glass is not very well known here, unfortunately it doesn't mean it would be cheap tho' as most people try to sell them as Finnish!

However, I feel especially how certain pieces of Czech glass represent the style of the 60's, my early childhood, is more in a stylish and refined way than what the typical Finnish really popular 60's designs I remember look like.

There's how I like them, heavy and clear. ( just not to be too much Off Topic: there is a Schrötter bullet vase there, and  I have a smaller yellow one too)The latest find I am happy about is the Vizner lense vase, and especially because it is with all clear lenses, not matt, that's for the simplicity I like!

The more colourful part of my Czech collection is 13139 (also waisted) vase, which is a design that really really pleases my eye. (I would love to hear more facts of it one day, so far I do not know if it was produced in Hermanova and Rudolfova huts. I suppose this is something that has only been found out lately.)

I have seen some Jan Schmid waisted vases but haven't bought one (yet).
I am not sure if I want to buy vases just because they are Czech, I have managed not to... I think I will buy one when I see one in really good condition, clear, colourless and cheap. :)

I have said it already a couple of times I cannot find the words to thank Jindrich for all that ever so interesting information. I think, Anne?, would you find a simple *heart* -smiley so we would in the future just express our feelings for him.   ;D ::) 

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
Thank you Jindrich for sharing more of your extensive knowledge. As a great fan of these two designers it was fascinating to hear more about their lives and I look forward to hearing more when you know it.

Personally I will be happy with the twelve colours when I have them in both sizes of both vases. There are other Sklo union designs that I collect but my main focus is on the Lens and the Waisted.

I am not normally a fan of clear glass but your collection looks stunning px. Very nice indeed.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 12:12:23 PM »
px, your clear Czech pressed glass collection is marvellous!  I also prefer the transparent ones - they look cleaner, crisper, colder (not a bad thing in my opinion).  JUST BEAUTIFUL!!! 

... and I agree 1000% about Jindrich.  The research he does, and the knowledge and passion he has for Czech glass is outstanding.  I've said it before, but I'll say it again -- it's remarkable that he takes the time to answer our queries and adds additional background information which we would never know otherwise.

Yay Jindrich!  :rah:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
Just to be pedantic, Rose's vase is the bullet vase, the lens one is a different pattern: http://www.pips-trip.co.uk/sold-glass-archives/sklo-union-glass-1/showitem-1SKLO-LENSFV.aspx - somewhere on the board is a post by Marcus explaining this. :)

And that Jindrich has picked up and built on the interest created by Marcus's earlier research into Czech glass is wonderful. He's doing a fine job, thank you Jindrich!  :thup:

And just for interest, this is one of my most interesting pieces of Czech Sklo Union glass because of its context... it's a piece of cullet from the final day's production at one of the SU glassworks retrieved by Marcus on one of his research trips. It lives on my desk. There's another piece shown in his book alongside a 244 tumbler - photo by Della, who I think had that piece of the cullet.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »
 :o

Anne, can I live on your desk?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk