No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this vase murano?  (Read 10335 times)

Offline tonyatl

• Members
is this vase murano?
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:22:15 AM »
i have a lovely glass vase which evokes an identification with murano but is this indeed correct? there are very small pinpoint indentations in the smooth surface suggestive of handling tools - or perhaps they are due to something else. any ideas on age. it stands about 11". nice thick walls.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: is this vase murano?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:52:01 AM »
Doesn't look Murano to me. The base looks unpolished, is that correct?  My first guess would be Chinese. Of course, I could be wrong, again.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 04:55:30 AM »
the base is polished....i know the chinese are producing tons of "art glass" and this may well be an example but it is certainly not a chinese style...

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »
Kinda looks  :or: to me too -- not that I really know much, but it just does not look as fine of work as Murano would be...

:ooh: 
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:40:52 AM »
after considering the matter further, i think that chinese is probably correct. my understanding is that murano glass would not have those pinpoint indentations which i mentioned. also there are some bubbles. for some reason i still like it...

on the other hand, i have had some known authentic murano glass in the past and it was not all that impressive - nice - but not impressive. obviously i didn't own any high end murano glass.  :cry:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:51:43 AM »
after considering the matter further, i think that chinese is probably correct. my understanding is that murano glass would not have those pinpoint indentations which i mentioned. also there are some bubbles. for some reason i still like it...

on the other hand, i have had some known authentic murano glass in the past and it was not all that impressive - nice - but not impressive. obviously i didn't own any high end murano glass.  :cry:

That is OK -- I have some  :or: ones that I just like too.  Pretty sure this is  :or: :or: (I think) See below:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:27:56 AM »
I agree with chinese. Still a nice piece though. I think everyone here has some chinese pieces among our finer stuff. Nothing wrong with that!

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:02:33 AM »
i agree that antiquerose's vase is definitely chinese.....

and it is no loss for me on my vase....it was one of those strange compelling pieces i found in a cheap antique mall....

for those of you owning confirmed chinese vases, is the weight of the chinese glass materially differnt than for murano? the murano i have owned typically has considerable heft. i am wondering if the chinese vases have the same feel.....my vase has a good deal of weight to it for its size.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 08:05:50 AM »
No...they can be the same...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 09:37:12 AM »
Handmade glass is handmade glass where ever it is from. Bubbles and small marks are very difficult to avoid, especially when lots of colour and techniques have been used, and are not necessarily an indicator of origin. Murano glass can range from extremely good quality down to downright dodgy, so can Chinese glass.

I would say your vase is Chinese. The base is finely ground but not polished (shiny), the pattern seems to be trying to be about dozen different things at once and it has what looks like oversized stretched millefiore. It seems to me that Chinese glass is often brasher, more patterned, less careful, slightly off proportion wise, imitative rather than original and larger so that something seems adrift when you look at. For me, your vase ticks most of those boxes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand