No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this vase murano?  (Read 10336 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: is this vase murano?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 03:02:24 PM »
Hi, I thought your vase may have been from here (see link) but I actually have one of these vases (my OH thinks it is hideous but to be honest, I rather like it ;D) and the base on mine is ground and polished clear.  It is a well made vase, but as I think Christine said, just very slightly 'off' somehow (OH would say totally off, he really hates it).  If I looked at it objectively, there are too many colours, too many patterns, the interior is red and is way to bright and the rim bit is too clunky.  Having said all that everyone who comes in comments on it (gushingly positively I mean ;D) so it definitely has something about it.
I have no idea where these vases on this link come from, or are made but even with the flat ground polished base I do have a few doubts that it is Italy.  However, I could be very wrong.  oh and ps. I LIKE your vase (not totally the shape but I love the colours and patterns).

http://www.luxurylane.com/Hand-Blown-Abstract-Spiral-Art-Glass/M/B0028R3J7E.htm

m

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
oh mon dieu.....i didn't think my vase was that bad....but thanks for the link...it's something to explore... :o

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »
oh mon dieu.....i didn't think my vase was that bad....but thanks for the link...it's something to explore... :o

:o   I don't think your vase is that bad, and neither do I think the vases in the link are that bad either. I wasn't casting aspersions on your vase  :-[ and my apologies if you thought I may have been.

m

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 09:43:01 PM »
no apologies are needed - my comments were tongue in cheek....no one should ever feel inhibited in expressing honest thoughts about the aesthetics of glass...we all have our own tastes....

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »
Hi

This is definitely Chinese as the techniques used in its construction are not anything that the Muranese Glass makers have used in the past, nor have they used since.  The base is also unpolished which is another sign.  You can see by the glass itself that it is a mishmash of colours just swirling together, there is no definitive structure.  No Murano Glass other than a rarely produced style know as Agate glass (which this isnt) looks like this.  The way the Chinese do this is to place a bud of glass in many different coloured oxides at once so when it is blown, you get this plethera of colours with no discernable difference or separation lines.

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
Tony, I located a very similar vase at http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/520096250/Murano_vase.html. Yours is made in China. The Chinese refer to these vases as Murano because of their style. They are not bad vases at all and are very good if you need a splash of color in a corner of your room. Glass from China has been improving in quality. It is much different than the dreadful glass we used to see 10 years ago. Perhaps one day they will recapture their artful history and make better glass than anyone else. They used to make the exceptional glass and ceramics. (Now they just try to feed a billion people the best way they can.)

www.alibaba.com is a good site for finding much of the Chinese glass that was made this year. It is my first stop when I'm trying to figure out if something is Chinese. The numbers of responses to an inquiry can be overwhelming, but the information is still very helpful. Your vase appears to be made at the same place in China as the one in the link. You can see the sources in the right-hand column. The large name is the export company handling the vase.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
Hi

This is definitely not Murano as they NEVER saw off the base of a piece. The pontil is always polished to perfection

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand