No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano vase or Chinese  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
Murano vase or Chinese
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:04:48 PM »
any info is appreciated.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Murano vase or Chinese
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 05:08:56 AM »
Hi:

What's the base like? It looks more like slumped than blown glass. I'm pretty sure it's not Murano, but I don't now about Chinese. I hope this is a start.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:25:04 AM »
I would go with modern Chinese or something similar. A lot of these hanky vases are popping up new in the UK.

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
I do agree there is alot of chinese      sh ----   items  in the uk, i bought this 1 from car boot sale from a couple that had ordinary household stuff they werent dealers passing on dodgy items in fact it was their only piece of decorative glass for sale! i also have a what looks to me a murano alrose hanky vase doubt very much is chinese been in my possesion some many years also it had age related wear on the base when i got this. Question; How long have the chinese been reproducing mid to late 20th century glass for????? i also have a few cased glass vases that have been attributed to the chinese although i am still in doubt at this to, would welcome your information
Thanks Robert.

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
here is a pic of the base on the more modern hanky vase. it is ground flat but not polished also i have what looks like a letter rack with a label which reads LAVORAZIONE Arte Murano MADE IN ITALY with the same type of base, ground but not polished, to me they look very similar so unless the chinese made letter racks with labels or maybe they got hold of the letter rack from italy and later ground the base? Who Knows. lol

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »
Chinese glass is for sale on the high street and many decorative goods wholesalers. This is neither dodgy nor a reproduction. Matte ground bases are not definitive of Chinese, just a clue, but I would still say this is not Murano.

And neither is LAVORAZIONE Arte Murano MADE IN ITALY; it's Italian, yes, but not Murano. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30943.0.html

Alrose glass is probably not Murano either, as labels seem to say Made in Italy

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:43:12 PM »
many thanks this is very interesting to know and also, so very confusing. another learning curve!!
thanks again for putting me right.
could you tell me if the green hanky vase is a piece of alrose glass
Robert.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand