No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webbs? care of 20th Century Glass,  (Read 2051 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Webbs? care of 20th Century Glass,
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »
The very nice postman delivered 20th Century British Glass and The Crystal Years,Stevens and Williams this morning.Whilst drooling over the pictures in Charles book I saw a vase(bottom left page 53).Am I deceiving myself or does the gilding on this vase look very similar :o :huh:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Webbs? care of 20th Century Glass,
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »
I would say not good enough for Barbe IMHO

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:29:45 AM »
I think the gildings lost a lot of it's definition through rough handling you can just make out what it was originally like by the single rose on the bottom lefthand side,have also seen some Webbs wine glasses with similar decor',I can hope ::) can't I? ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »
Keith - I would think Christine is almost certainly correct - the gilding in your pics. looks way too poor to be Barbe - also IMHO  -  But then I'm not over keen on being 'ever so umble'.    My only real experience of good gilding is on a piece of 'peach blow' - and there the thickness of the gilding is remarkably thicker.   I understand that a lot of the cheaper wares in the period 1860 - 1920 had their gilding applied by a transfer method  -  quicker and more accurate, apparently  -  although I'm not suggesting yours was produced by that method............it looks a little too spontaneous for that.   But it's just a comment re the fact that vast amounts of glass and china were gilded - poorly - during that period, a lot of which by now has either worn away completely, or become very thin, like yours.    I don't think J. Barbe's pieces would have done that.   By the way, apolgies to anyone who was thinking I might have emigrated - I have lost my internet connection at home, and am going crazy trying to resolve the problem.  f@"$%% it.
I hope to be sending my usual 'generalizations' - 'long winded and over wordy' epistles again soon.     Was that a groan I heard somewhere :hi:

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »
After wiping away the drool from the pictures I suppose I must agree :-[,can't help hoping,think all these wonderful pictures have sent me a bit funny,it's one of the few books I have that has pic's of pieces I have ;D
Paul;I would never call your epistles verbose >:D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
go on................................bet you say that to all the boys.....................................or am I really special :kissy:     see you soon.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
 :wsh: :24: :24:

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »
I think a number of firms made this style of piece, certainly Mont-Joye in France used a similar combination of optic ribbing and gilding around the turn of the century.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
Thanks Stephen,will look into that,ta,
                                       Keith.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »
if you'll forgive the trumpet blowing for just a little longer  -  for comparison  -  thought you might like to see some pics. of thick gilding from a piece of 'peach blow'  -  also some pics. showing the typical very thin transfer applied gold decoration  - in this case on a C19 cheese bell.     Wish I could say my 'peach blow' was the work of Mr. Barbe  -  but since this sort of ware was knocked out by several States factories, plus Stevens and Williams and Webb's in the U.K.  -  then it's anyone's guess where this originated.      However, I suspect the cheese bell is most probably English, and I like to think that the insect is a Mayfly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand