No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline/Citrine glass candlesticks  (Read 5100 times)

Offline thomasandkatherine

• Members
Vaseline/Citrine glass candlesticks
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »
I wonder whether anyone is able to id the manufacturer and approximate date of manufacture for these massive candlesticks.  They stand around 21cms tall and weigh just under a kilo together.  There is fantastic age wear to the base so there is no doubt in my mind that the are older pieces.  I thought they might be Derbyshire/Greener but would really appreciate any assistant the experts can give me.  Let me know if the picture is too small and I will attempt another crop of the original.
Alison Robley, Australia

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: Vaseline/Citrine glass candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:01:34 AM »
I have one of those (or close to it) on my desk right now.  Look into Fostoria pattern called 'Colony' (somewhere I saw Heavy Swirl).  But now I notice the top on yours is just slightly different.  Someone else made a very similar candle stick... let me think... hmm.. maybe it will come to me, was another US pressed glass company.

I *think* the pattern is *based on* an old Baccarat crystal candlestick.  (The Baccarat ones are etch or mold relief marked on the bottom and have a different treatment of the joints between the sections.  

I can't really tell from your picture what the foot looks like.  Are there 3 little bumps (hobbs) on the base?
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:47:09 AM »
If you go to Pamela's site and look at the 1914, Muller Kraft catalog there is one that looks very close, I don't know if they made that color or if it is an exact match.  Might be worth a try though. 
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:33:14 AM »
Thank you for the input.  I have just tried to locate the musterbuch pages on Pamela's site and keep erroring out.  Is there a new site for the catalogues or have the catalogues gone "underground"?
Alison Robley, Australia

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:09:04 AM »
The Masterbuck page is back up and running and Bingo, the Muller Kraft stick is exactly the same as the ones I own (pattern 1072).  I know there was a lot of "sharing" of patterns between the European glass manufacturers during the early part of the 20th Century so I guess one can never be sure of a precise attribution but that is as close as one could hope to get.  Many thanks Deco.Queen.
Alison Robley, Australia

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:22:04 AM »
Hi,
they are simply lovely. But please bear in mind that Müller and Kraft were wholesalers not producers. So while the catalogue may give you a certain date of manufacture the maker  -so far- remains unknown. Pamela may know though...  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:48:33 PM »
I had no idea that they were merely distributors.  I will wait to see if anyone comes up with any further information.  Thank you again.
Alison Robley, Australia

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »
I have been searching in the catalogues round the period 1914 and have found very similar candlesticks manufactured by Baccarat in the Bambous tors pattern in 1916.  I wonder whether mine are Baccarat?
Alison Robley, Australia

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 04:06:07 PM »
I have been searching in the catalogues round the period 1914 and have found very similar candlesticks manufactured by Baccarat in the Bambous tors pattern in 1916.  I wonder whether mine are Baccarat?

Yes I think those are the ones I mentioned earlier.  My (limited) understanding  is that the Baccarat sticks were marked in the mold.  I know they did do some colors as well as clear but I don't know about vaseline.  I assume yours glow under UV?
Pithy sig withheld

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 06:15:59 PM »
I finally got to the M-K catalog as well.  (Cool site!)  That 1072 pattern does have the treatment of the joint treatment between the sections that I have seen on that pattern stick attributed as Baccarat.  I've probably crossed my limit of informed speculation.  

Mine are clear, and I still believe mine to be Fostoria for now.  Wanna swap candle sticks?  Didn't think so.  ;D  
Pithy sig withheld

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand