No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Percival Vickers Manchester pattern  (Read 1168 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Percival Vickers Manchester pattern
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
I should mention that I have been able to view a subset of pages from the Percival Vickers catalogue and it has enabled me to identify their major pressed tableware sets.

The biggest was the "Manchester" set. There was one piece using this pattern registered in 1878 but it was the tip of the iceberg and there are in fact at least a couple of dozen pieces using this particular registration.

I have finally given this set a separate page on my website as quite a few photos of this pattern have come in now. Last week I picked up some photos of a "Manchester" bowl with an excellent metal lid. And today I was at Ardingly and found a frosted celery from the set which I think was used as part of the centre stand.

Here's the page with all the photos on it for the curious...

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/percival-vickers-designs-by-date/percival-vickers-1878

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Percival Vickers Manchester pattern
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
I can't comment on this link http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34517.msg186819.html#msg186819
So I'm doing it here in reference to Neil's update and link http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/percival-vickers-designs-by-date/percival-vickers-1878

I assume this design had a long production run, as the metal lid on the last American piece is a very typical design for 1920s/30s USA. It's the sort of thing you see all over pressed glass (depression) of the period. Also chrome plating wasn't introduced until the 1920s. It also indicates to me that the lid was added by the wholesaler for the US market. Could be wrong but...

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:32:53 PM »
Hi there,

I'm no expert on the history of glassware lids so this is useful info. The piece in question was registered in 1878 and could have been produced up to 1914 when the factory closed. I guess the moulds could have been sold on, but from what you say it is more likely that the lid has been added to the bowl at a later date.

Percival Vickers did produce a catalogue in 1893 of 25 pages featuring glass designed for the electro-plate trade, but I haven't seen it.

There are several examples of metal bits with P&V glass on the following 1885 page

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/percival-vickers-designs-by-date/percival-vickers-1885

They certainly look more worn than the one from the Manchester set!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
The knob on the US piece matches the one on the piece on the stand. It's been restored by chroming, I think, as it's not electroplate. I hadn't remembered the PV closure date. That means the design is more likely Art Nouveau and my first theory was rubbish (if interesting).

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »
I've split Neil's 2nd post off the website topic and added it to the top of this one to make it all come together, as it's here it can now be discussed. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand