No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Symmetrisk Lamp...  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard Symmetrisk Lamp...
« on: December 18, 2005, 11:57:04 PM »
...Does anybody know who designed it and when? I bought one a while back, and can find out nothing about it.

It's often attributed to M. Bang, but sellers always say this is a guess based on the style of the lamp. But I'm unsure about this as other M. Bang lighting I have has the initials M.B. on the foil label.

It would be nice to know it's provenance. All info gratefully received.  :)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 05:48:37 PM »
Hi Nic,
we have got two of these very similar - I can only confirm Holmegaard and that we bought them 1975 as novelty.
Our large one measures 45 cms high and 24.5 cms dia at the base
the small one 29 cms high, dia 16 cms
sorry, no labels
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 06:11:44 PM »
The factory label which would help date the lamp has long gone on this one, and the only identifying label is a foil product name one on the base:

I've seen a few variations on these. I do prefer the larger ones (especially the ones with reddish-purple patterns that usually look rather like autumnal tree leaves), but alas these rarely come onto the market for a reasonable price.  :(

Were they new when you bought them?

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 06:52:28 PM »
Yes they were new in 1975 and bought them in a huge furniture shop in Hamburg
actually we got a pair of the small, one has broken many many years ago  :(
ours are simply grey/black on whithe

I also do well remember the original white shades: the lower diametre was less than the upper - terrible but very up to date at that time  :lol:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 07:04:44 PM »
I saw a pair of the (large) grey ones with original shades sell for $600 (USD) just recently!  :shock:

Don't get me started on the shades, though - the lamps have a fitting size all of their own! I had to buy a shade with a European-size ring, buy two European-to-UK shade adaptors, glue them together, and then cut a larger hole in them with a drill before I could have a non-wobbly fitting shade on it!  :lol:

But if they were new in 1975, that puts them into some kind of time perspective. Thanks. :)

I have to admit, the style does scream of Michael Bang - and the period is about right (there are distinct similarities with Bang's Atlantis range from 1981) - but I don't like to guess at these things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand