No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carlo Moretti Satinato  (Read 3752 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« on: December 08, 2005, 09:53:51 AM »

I have a small collection of Carlo Moretti Stainato and was wondering if this could possibly be  the same. I am pretty certain is not American. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks Terry

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 11:24:25 AM »
Tricky one - tons and tons of imitations from India have been thrown onto the market in recent years and unless you feel this piece has been made the classical way, with a nice finish, a pontil mark and the whole kaboodle chances are you ran into one. The India glass is light to medium weight, evenly matted all over. Maybe interesting to see this one next to the real thing?

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 08:04:21 PM »

Sorry for the delay but wanted to get a good pic of all together. What differences did I note.
1. All the Carlo Moretti have ground rims, the red does not.

2. The red has a bit of shine to it, Carlo Moretti no shine at all.

3. The bases, while no pontil is evident on any of them, the red one seems to be flatter.

So in conclusion I will say that the red is not Carlo Moretti and India seems a sure bet. Thanks Ivo, Terry

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »
That is a very nice photograph and a clear demonstration. Thank you Terry!

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 07:46:35 PM »
I saw two vases today in my charity shop and they look just the same as the red one in shape.

Both had a modern looking sticker on the base. One had a barcode and nothing else.  The other vase had a sicker that said: "Imported by Woolworths".

Both had no pontil mark and no ground rim.

Both had no shine, though one was shiney on the inside and Matte on the outside.

Both had a flat base.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline chuggy

• Members
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 09:34:01 PM »
Terry I found these in a box in the loft, and my wife bought them in Murano in 1970. Are they Moretti pieces? and if not any ideas. They both have blue and silver Murano Made in Italy labels. Having found these I'm off back in the loft tomorrow to see what else is lurking up there.

http://i1.tinypic.com/n2o6sx.jpg

Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:55:31 PM »
Paul, my main source for info on Carlo Moretti satinato comes from Pina's book Italian glass Century 20.
All of the pieces she shows with a stem do not have a knob. Also that color is not shown either. Having said that, the time frame is correct. She lists most pieces with a 60's date, but a couple are dated as designed ca. 1970. In looking I concluded that the two blue ones in my pic are from the 70s.
I think that other Murano makers might have made satinato as well and maybe someone can set it straight. Terry

Offline chuggy

• Members
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 07:32:58 AM »
Thanks Terry looks like something else for a bit of research then. They have now been rescued from obscurity and are displayed anyway.
Paul

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 07:54:14 AM »
Paul, forgot to add that I do like the color of yours. Looks like chocolate  YUM Terry

Offline chuggy

• Members
Carlo Moretti Satinato
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 07:58:45 AM »
Bad photo Terry they are actually a lovely amethyst like frosted black grapes, I'll get a better one in daylight.
Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand