No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mottled amber cased vase  (Read 2556 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Mottled amber cased vase
« on: December 08, 2005, 10:01:40 AM »

I bought this from ebay and find it fascinating. Not a clue as to origin. It is cased, white interior ( very white) the casing  is amber. I find the mottled effect pleasing. The vase stands apprx. 8 1/2 inches tall and is heavy at almost 5 1/2 pounds. The base is so beautifully ground that with little effort you can spin the piece. Any information welcome, thanks Terry

Mod: Sorry, these photos are irretrievable.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Mottled amber cased vase
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:27:49 AM »
I have seen very similar vases from Marinha Grande in Portugal and if it is it is recent.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Mottled amber cased vase
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:53:44 AM »
Thanks Ivo, I searched and found this site

http://www.marinhagrandemglass.com/store/index.php?

I did not see my vase, but did discover another that I have and must say I am amazed at the some of the forms. Another whole new world of glass, YIPPEE Terry

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Mottled amber cased vase
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »
Great website Terry and fab item though I have to say I think the auction pics were better - sorry.

Interesting Ivo.
Marinha Grande MGlass seems to be a government sponsored attempt to make the area and the glasshouses concentrated there, into a world brand, like Murano is for Italy.

The individual glasshouse remain indepentant but marketing and promotiopn is undrtaken by the joint co-operative company. It seems to me an excellent idea if they can pull it off.

Although they have a long way to go to catch up with Murano they seem to have made a good start. I find some of the glass very stylish and innovative. Ironically I'm not so impressed generally with the individual "name" designer collections. (author)

Listing the individual companies involved here for searchability and googlability.

A MONTRA DO VIDRO
 IN-FUSãO
ALBERTO MARTINS & FILHOS
 IVO DE SOUSA FERREIRA NETO
ARTE FOSCO
 JASMIM
CANIVIDRO
 LIQUIDFORM
CARLOS DE CEIA SIMõES
 MARIVIDROS
CRISTALIDE
 METADECO
CRISTUL II
 RODRIGUES & FRANCISCO
DâMASO
 VETRICOR
F. FERREIRA DA SILVA
 VICRIARTE
FAVICRI
 VIDRIL
GRUPO VISTA ALEGRE ATLANTIS
 VIDROCRISTAL
IFAVIDRO

Terry I think you also have an Atlantis vase, don't you ?

Why don't you write to the seller to try and get a handle on how old it might be.

I guess it's possible it was done by one of these individual companies before this co-operative venture came into being. (beginning of 1997 if I am reading the very wordy text correctly)  :roll:  Better still write to the design dept at Vitrocrystal and refer them to this topic to see if they can ID which company might have made it.

It's interesting to note from the site that it was an Englishman, John Beare, who founded the first glassworks in this area in 1740 ! 8)

It's also interesting that Ivo's long lost Portuguese cousin (64 times removed) (no relation) is also into glass !   :twisted:
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Mottled amber cased vase
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 10:01:11 PM »
I spoke to the manager of the designer glass consortium in 2000, after they launched their single brand approach and had a completely new line of glass designed by the hottest portugese bright young things. The list of glassworks sounds longer than it is; there are bottle plants, refineries, cut glass, tableware, barware, slump glass artists etcetera. and I believe the workload for the designer glass is shared out between the existing factories.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand