No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you help ID this pressed glass Sarcophagus shape dish?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline wiggy131

• Members
Can you help ID this pressed glass Sarcophagus shape dish?
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:58:07 PM »
Hi,
     I am trying to trace the mark on the base, but have had no luck! I'm hopeing somebody will recognize the beautiful work on this item,
Best Wishes
Vickie

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Can you help ID this pressed glass Sarcophagus shape dish?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
Sowerby glass works ;D
                     Keith.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:44 PM »
Is this part of the nursery rhyme Sowerby pieces?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,16247.msg95004.html#msg95004
I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
according to Raymond Slack, this piece, classified as Vitro-Porcelain, is a flower holder showing the nurserey rhyme characters 'Elizabeth, Eslpeth, Betsy and Bess' (they all went together to seeka birds nest.....)'   c. 1880, after a design from An Alphabet of Old Friends by Walter Crane (1874).  It does obviously have the Sowerby trade mark Peacock.
It should be 6.25 inches long and 2.3/8 inches high.  They are known in Turquoise, and yours appears to be cream, by the looks of the image.   A very nice and uncommon piece of pressed glass, and desireable :mrgreen:  congratulations.
Ref. English Pressed Glass - 1830 to 1900  -  Raymond Slack.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:59:18 AM »
having posted the above, it occured to me that I had never heard of this particular nursery rhyme, so if like me you are intrigued to know the rest of the verse (your'e not, oh, I'm disappointed)  -  well, you are going to get it anyway :usd: - and here goes:
"Elizabeth, Elspeth, Betsy and Bess,
They all went together to seek a bird's nest,
They found a birds's nest with five eggs in it,
They all took one and left four in"

Hardly and stunning piece rhymery, and I suspect the cleverness of the last line would be lost on children anyway.
Personally, I prefer verses to do with a certain woman called Nell, so tomorrow we start a selection of Rugby Songs.  Anyone have any favourites??? :usd: :ooh: :wsh:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »
I used to like "Hairy Mary, with the cod-liver oil and the orange juice", it lad a lovely melody.
I used to sing it on the coach tours with the swimming club I was in when I was a child. I had, and still have, absolutely no idea what it was about, 'cos i've forgotten the words) but I now suspect it was rude.
Cafe time!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:42:21 PM »
If I can find Hairy Mary (the rhyme I mean) will share it with you for the sake of nostalgia (in the cafe of course) ;D

Offline wiggy131

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:07:50 PM »
Thanks to Paul , Max and Keith. It is amazing the amount of knowledge you have between you! Thank you so much, it was really interesting to read about Elizabeth, Elspeth, Betsy and Bess - and the Sowerby bit as well!
I need to find a good place to sell it, does anyine know of a good auction house for glass?
Best Wishes
Vickie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »
Hello Vickie  -  sorry, hadn't realize you'd come back again.     Not such a simple thing as you might imagine.    There is the posibility of selling here on the 'Glass Market Place'  -  although generally sellers are encouraged to sell through somewhere like Ebay (for your protection), and the GMB would not take any responsibility in regard to your transaction, if sold here.      Try looking through your own Yellow Pages for the nearest auction house, and pay them a visit to see if one small item such as this would be worthwhile  -  they do have minimum charges and it may not be economical.     You might try locating a dealer in late C19 pressed glass - from the internet - and discussing it with them, at least to ascertain an approximate value.       If you can arrive at some notion of a value, you might then care to advertise the piece here with perhaps a reserve value, and see what happens.    Obviously, if you then were to accept an offer from someone, you would part with the piece only when you have the money.    Hope there might be something of help in this for you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand