No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1970's Cased Glass Lamp... Italian/Scandi/Other?  (Read 6082 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
1970's Cased Glass Lamp... Italian/Scandi/Other?
« on: December 08, 2005, 02:21:57 PM »
This fun little lamp arrived in the post today. I thought it would be Italian, but now I have it I'm not so sure...

My past experience of Italian cased glass is that it has just two layers of glass; white opaque then transparent coloured. This lamp has three layers; opaque, coloured, and then clear - which I would usually associate with Scandinavian glass. Also the orange colour is even across the whole piece and with the Italian cased glass I've owned there are usually darker striations dotted about.

The top part of the lamp looks lighter in the first photograph because the glass is thinner and the light source is from behind... but it is all the same shade of orange.

Any ideas anyone?  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 06:29:34 PM »
Interesting 'spoons !
It must be quite difficult to spot the clear layer ?......

You have prompted me to examine mine and from the base rim it also appears to be 3 layers !  8)

3 layer would indicate better quality, ditto eveness of color which does seem to be a Scandi trait but that's all I can say.

Don't discount the Italians too quickly - there are all grades of quality from Italy.

I would dearly love to pin down where my 3 KG (without fittings) monster cam from.  I fell so much in love with it that I actually went to Holland to pick it up !! (OK along with some other stuff ....aaaaah those were the days .....)

Is yours heavy too ?
Does the bulb go in from the bottom or the top on yours ?
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 06:56:48 PM »
Mine's not too heavy - just a touch over 1.2kg.

The bulb goes in the top - and it's a right pain, I can tell you. And I've got tiny hands. Lord knows how people with normal hands are supposed to manage it!  :)

I can see why you fell in love with yours, though - that colour is gorgeous!

Oh, and the clear layer is quite abvious on mine as the glass on the base of it is reasonably thick.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 07:26:13 PM »
Odd, I've just noticed that there are two coloured layers in there...  :?

And I stand corrected with my experience of Italian glass - I just took a closer look at another cased lamp I have (labelled Made In Italy) and this has a (very thin) clear layer also.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:52:31 AM »
Yours would appear to be orange (on the inside ?? !!! ) then white then clear.....but logically ...... :roll: ????

Ivo
Any thoughts on these ? (please !)
Colours give any clues ?

Frank
If you find any lighting catalogues for this style & era please let me know !
Pete

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 11:53:56 AM »
Nope, it's white on the inside, then two different shades of orange, and then clear on the outside... Very peculiar!

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 07:21:24 PM »
I've just seen a bright orange vase with a sticker saying Opalina Fiorentina (from Empoli). I'm wondering if they also produced triple cased glass as well.
ebay
It isn't a lamp shade but it's the same sort of Opalina or whatever you call it.

This one is cased orange, white and orange
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Picture%20608%7E0.jpg

I think the Italians are experimenting. Cased clear, white and orange  :lol:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Picture%20609%7E0.jpg

This one might have 4 layers. Cased clear, orange, white and orange  :shock:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Picture%20433.jpg

Here's some orange Italian glass.
http://www.vmglasshouse.com/CasedOrangeRed.htm
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 09:19:16 PM »
Your orange/white/orange vase (first one shown) is very similar in shape to one I have which is definitely Italian.  I have a set of 4, two of which have "Made in Italy" labels.   However mine are just one colour.

Your clear/white/orange (#2) looks very Polish to me, and quite modern, but I could be wrong.

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 06:39:50 PM »
The orange/white/orange, the woman I bought it from said that it was 1950's. I always thought that these were 1970's because of the bright colours.

The clear, white, orange has a thick clear casing so perhaps it is Polish. There is a lot of ware to the base even more so than the other one's.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 12:46:55 AM »
Hi  

Don't discount the Italians too quickly - there are all grades of quality from Italy

Good point Peter

I am sitting looking at a book with Murano glass lamps that are very similar to yours and the original posters c 1950s - 60s/70s

Vistosi - Lampada da tavolo (table lamp) several designed by E Capuzzi - simple coloured lamps lit with bulb from inside, very similar shapes.

Also made by Salviati and C Moretti (Moretti pics I have tend to be glass bases with shades)

I am sure there were many other makers

I used to think all the simple glass was usually Scandinavian but recent book buys have shown me a lot of vases and 'table sets' by Nason, Fratelli, Barovier, Salviati, and Vistosi were very simple.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand