No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian? dump / paperweight  (Read 7963 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Victorian? dump / paperweight
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »
Hi Chris,

Don't worry, I am happy to be wrong.

I am just weary because of the large number of these seen in antique shops and available at auctions.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
Thanks Sophie :sun:
Rocksmom. sorry to appear dim but don't quite understand what you mean by 'It takes only a year or so to put a wear ring on a coke bottle'? Thought you just opened them drank them and threw them away, pleease explain
also 'base wear is not really a good indicator of age'? I always presumed genuine base/shelf was an indication of age, pretty sure a lot on here do too, as many a post contains the phrase 'base wear' as an indication to age? I appreciate it's difficult looking at photos but trust me I have it in front of me, the base wear looks genuine, the bullseye dings the scratches all tell me it has some age to it.
Again apologies if the reply is obvious and it's just got lost on me :-[
cheers Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 04:49:17 PM »
The old coke bottles were returned and actually refilled by the bottlers.  (This was before recycling as we know it today).  My point being that the glass used for making bottles is different and softer than glass used by "quality" paperweight makers.  When bottle glass is used to make paperweights (and many beautiful weights have been made with bottle glass) you can expect basal wear, as well as surface scratches to occur MUCH easier than it would be expected with a harder glass. 

As a longtime collector, the reason I personally want to see the base of a weight is not to see if there's a wear ring, but to see how the base is finished.  Is it flat or concave?  Is it polished, ground or rough? Is it symetrical?  Is there a pontil scar?  Are there any other identifying marks or characteristics?  You can have a Clichy with no wear to the base,  just as you can have a Perthshire that does.  It depends on how often the weight was dragged across another (harder) surface, or possibly repolished.

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 04:57:45 PM »
Oh, and as far as "bulls eyes", they can happen any time the weight is knocked against another piece of glass.  Last year I purchased a lovely NEGC weight in almost pristine condition.  I had it on the table and my mother accidently knocked a glass over, which unfortunately hit my "new" weight and gave it it's first spall.  :cry:  So you see, the spall can be new, no matter the age of the weight.

I hope I've made some sense here.... :or:

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 07:24:38 AM »
Obviously I did know that that a ding doesn't mean it's old, but surely taking in to account all the factors together probably mean it's not modern Chinese made yesterday. Not trying to say it's Victorian(that was the seller not me) I am not a collector but merely trying establish a little information so I can list it with an honest description.
thanks Chris

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »
Oh and bought a Whitefriars bubble paperweight today , aqua so around 40 years old,  looks more 'worn' than I do, sold an ocean green one the other week (even older) not a mark on it not even shelf wear bright as a button and looking like it was made yesterday?
Chris 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand