No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgewood vase, help with age please.  (Read 916 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Wedgewood vase, help with age please.
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »
Hi all, I bought this vase on Sunday, for not too much money, in the rain, at the local boot sale, when I got it home and gave it a clean I was surprised to find the very faint Wedgewood etched mark on the polished pontil. The vase is a fantastic blue colour and I have had a look on the internet and it looks like it may be by Stennet Wilson? ( any confirmation by all you experts would be great ) The vase is very heavy and is 7" high and about 6.5" at the widest point. How old would this vase be? Thanks in advance, David  :sc:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Wedgewood vase, help with age please.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »
David - a little information which may help you, and which comes courtesy of Susan Tobin's book.     Believe your vase is described as design No. RSW/103 - which apparently came in three sizes, appropriately called 1, 2 and 3.  The colour appears to be 'blue/blue', and was produced between (approximately 1969 and 1973).  Unfortunately, I am unable to help you as to which of the three sizes your vase is, although I suspect it is not the largest.    Although your pic. showing the base in indistinct, we can just about make out the Portland Vase mark, so will assume you also have the words 'Wedgwood England' underneath  -  this was the first mark used at Lynn, apparently, and like ALL marks used by this company was sand blasted.   So, somewhere between '69 and '73 most probably. :)
Ref. 'Wedgwood Glass' - Susan Tobin  -  2001.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
Paul only missed one thing, the vase comes from the 'Studio' range.

Oh, the name Stennett-Willson is a bit of a trickster until you get used to it :huh:  ;)  :) Nice find by the way  :) :)

Nigel

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:31 PM »
Thank you Paul and Nigel for the information, the mark is really hard to see, never mind, photograph, but it does have wedgwood, England underneath the mark. I really love the colour of the vase, and now that I know they come in 2 other sizes, I have yet another glass related quest to find the rest of the set :thup:
cheers, David  :sc:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand