No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id for early Mtarfa vase/signature.  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id for early Mtarfa vase/signature.
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »
With this colourway I expected to see the word Mdina - but as you can see, that is not the case, and therefore I'm thinking very early Mtarfa  -  although the colours make it look more like some of the Mdina from the very early '70's - especially with this cylinder shape.   I've tried looking for other examples of the Mtarfa dremelled signature, although I found only two, and these are both of the style I have seen previously i.e. more narrow  -  more leaning forward, and less legible.  Do people think this might be Paul Said's signature.   Height is about 170mm, and the piece is cased in clear which is more noticeable towards the base.     Grateful for any thoughts and my thanks for looking as always.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: id for early Mtarfa vase/signature.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »
Sue has quite a lot of pieces from this range. I'm sure she'll pop in. That's a rather nice one.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
many thanks Christine  -  I had meant to say, but forgot, that by 'early Mtarfa', I was implying very close to the inception of this breakaway company which was started by Paul Said in 1981.   Apologies for the omission. :)   

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
You are absolutely right Paul, as far as I've managed to work things out. Many of these are not marked and I originally bought them because I liked them, and thought they might be Mdina - when i started collecting it, nobody really knew what it was and i simply went by my instincts - which included this. Eventually, i realised they came in shapes which didn't ring true for Mdina, then i found a couple which were marked.
Some of the pieces do not have that lovely inky blue colour in them, but the distinguishing feature seems to be the greeny/browny/yellowy almost iridescent mottled blobs inside the glass, this is not a Mdina feature at all.

I cannot say anything at all about who might have made any marks on tham, I know no-oooothing about this at all. I don't think I've seen a mark like yours before.

The only info I have at all about Paul and marks is from Ron Wheeler, who contacted him to ask about artist signatures on Mdina and if any of them were made by him, the answer was a categorical and resounding no.

It is a lovely piece, I've got one a bit like it, and another couple, not quite so nice - no inky blue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »
many thanks for the detailed reply Sue.   I can only think these particular pieces are uncommon, as this is the first that I have been aware of seeing  -  although it has to be said that I don't frequent the antiques fairs or better end of the market :).      Shame about lack of information re the signature - it does have a really fluid look, and with more quality than other Mtarfa sigs. that I have seen.    The inky blue does lift the piece way beyond the normal browny/yellow - so I shall keep an eye out for any more like this, and if anyone else does have anything to add about the signature, please do let us know.   With my very recent track record re comments about 'wear' :ooh: I'm tempted to say nothing about this piece  -  but am reasonably convinced that date wise this must be close the beginning of the Mtarfa output.  thanks again.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »
I can add that when I started collecting ~ 10 years ago, this style was the only Mtarfa I really saw around - though that might have been because it's the most "early-ish Mdina" in style itself. These pieces do come in some odd shapes. I'll track down some pics soon.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand