No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina 'cut ice vase' buyer says it's a fake?  (Read 22990 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Mdina 'cut ice vase' buyer says it's a fake?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »
The item is 100% as described and therefore doesn't require a refund. If its because he doesn't like it then thats a matter of how nice and honest he is with you.

Sorry Mike but that's slightly misleading.  That's only applicable to private sellers - business sellers must offer a full refund for any reason whatsover (change of mind, don't like it anymore, doesn't match the curtains!!) - who pays the postage cost for it to be returned however depends on a number of things.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 10:10:50 AM »
Also begs the question if you are selling 'dozens of items a month' than technically you are a business and not some selling household wares that a taking up space or no longer needed...you should give them a full refund. As to who pays for return postage is at your own discretion...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
I have never, ever had a seller pay the return costs.
And I've only ever complained with very good cause, I've always ended up frustrated, disappointed, hassled and out of pocket.  >:(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »
I guess this boils down to how much 100% feedback is worth to you... would you pay £4 or £5 to keep it at 100% ?   

I'd pay the return postage in the knowledge my feedback is (probably) safe and you can resell the vase to someone that appreciates it.

(BTW you really ought to register as a business seller, as that's what you are)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Also begs the question if you are selling 'dozens of items a month' than technically you are a business and not some selling household wares that a taking up space or no longer needed...

Whilst I agree it does appear that Chris is a business seller - the number of sales itself isn't necessarily a factor - it's the intent at the time of purchasing the item that is later sold.  For example, if I was to buy a hoover because I needed a new one but then found on getting it home that it wouldn't fit in my cupboard and sold it that would be considered a private sale because I originally bought the hoover for my own personal use.  If, however I saw one going cheap and bought it specifically to sell on and make a profit, that would be classed as a business transaction.  Chris, you've said you're 'a friend of collectors and finder of 'rare' and beautiful piece's' - that doesn't sound like you're selling off your unwanted personal possessions to me.

Anyway, it might seem like I'm going on (apologies) but the point here is that seller obligations vary quite significantly depending on whether it's a business or private sale so it's entirely relevant in this instance.

IGMC!

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:46 PM »
Chris, we all come across unpleasant people on eBay. I remember one bloke a couple of years ago who gave me a negative because I asked him to use bubblewrap. If I were you, I'd get the buyer to return it to you, you'll have to write off the postage, and then resell.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Hi all, the statement "not a trader" was purely a tongue in cheek statement aimed at the many 'glassy friends' I have made over the years, particularly the Whitefriars collectors who 'pop' in here from time to time  :sun: Anyone who knows me will understand the statement "more a friend of collectors" and "finder of 'rare' items.
The post was started originally probably out of frustration, having just sold a perfectly good correctly described item only to be faced with the 'threat' of a negative feedback or lose money on an item, because the buyer knows even less than I do  :-[ Seems to have turned into a debate on whether I should be registered as a business or not. To be honest (again anyone who knows me) knows I have sold a lot of low and items over the years and the odd 'gem' mainly again to whitefriars collectors. I am well aware of the morals of selling on ebay on the very rare occasions I have to make a refund, mainly the odd 'lost' or broken items I always refund in full including return postage.
To be honest it's not a problem to me if I never sell another piece of glass again, pretty sure though a business seller would not be very happy if they had 3 or 4 of these a week, seems to be a simple question aimed at the knowledgeable Mdina folk, Sue and Suzy John in particular who have been more than helpful to me in the past as turned into a bit of a personal scrutiny of my affairs, a debate on the moral ground between buyers and sellers
which was never my intention, where's that shovel :phew:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »
Chris as you and i know with some people you just cant win , so just put it down to experience if it cost you a couple of bob its less life threatening than stress , keep in touch mate . JP . :cry: ;D :angel: :huh: :cheers:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »
The UK's Distance Selling Regulations
This guide is based on UK law. It was last updated in July 2010.
http://www.out-law.com/page-430

Note, despite what it says on the eBay guides, online auctions are not covered by the DSR - BINs are, auctions are not.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 08:06:20 AM »
The post was started originally probably out of frustration, having just sold a perfectly good correctly described item only to be faced with the 'threat' of a negative feedback or lose money on an item, because the buyer knows even less than I do  :-[ Seems to have turned into a debate on whether I should be registered as a business or not. ....
To be honest it's not a problem to me if I never sell another piece of glass again, pretty sure though a business seller would not be very happy if they had 3 or 4 of these a week, seems to be a simple question aimed at the knowledgeable Mdina folk, Sue and Suzy John in particular who have been more than helpful to me in the past as turned into a bit of a personal scrutiny of my affairs, a debate on the moral ground between buyers and sellers
which was never my intention, where's that shovel :phew:

Chris, I'm sorry you feel that way - I was responding to this statement that you said to someone earlier in the thread 'surely you are missing my point I am trying to establish whether it is a fake?  if it's genuine Mdina as per my description then surely they have no recourse 'under item not as described'?    Which seems to imply you want opinions as to whether your buyer can force a return on you or not.

As for intending only certain people to answer your query - it's a public message board, anyone can answer within reason.  Perhaps in future you could state at the start of your thread that you only want certain people to comment and only about certain aspects.

And yes, I also get unreasonable customers too at times - it's to be expected when you're dealing with the general public - I just accept what they're saying, smile, apologise sometimes (yes, even when I'm not wrong!) and move on.  I've lost money in situations like yours through no fault of my own - it's just the way it goes sometimes.  Good luck with your selling anyway.

Anne, thanks for the link to the new updated DSR - that's my bedtime reading sorted! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand