No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina 'cut ice vase' buyer says it's a fake?  (Read 22939 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Mdina 'cut ice vase' buyer says it's a fake?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »
Hi Pip, I appreciate what you are saying I know any question is 'open' for discussion. Though none profess to be  experts, a lot do tend to specialize in certain areas, so I think if you ask a question about a certain type of glass, these are normally where you get the answer. (Whitefriars is my chosen subject) and always try to help :pb:
The 'frustration' bit stems from the fact that having made the effort to photograph and  list the item carefully and correctly to the best of my knowledge, started it at a low price, took time to pack it carefully and safely, juggled start and end times to coincide with other commitments. 3 trips to the post office because we all know most always pay immediately but there is always one who pays after 2 days and 1 who waits 4 or 5 (not this buyer by the way)  :ac1:
Then to be 'told' in no uncertain terms that it's a 'fake' piece made in the far East and how long I have owned it because it's nothing like the other 30 pieces in my collection and then of course the bit at the end that mentions a full refund and of course the dreaded 'threat' of a negative feedback. We are all different some would bite the bullet, some ignore it and hope it goes away, we all know ebay is stacked up against the sellers even the genuine ones, the negative feedback is  only a click  away (justified or not) 
Sorry if I appeared to be telling anyone to mind there own business, which was never my intention.
Another bad habit I tend to go on and on and on........... :sun: 

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 04:28:08 PM »
Chris as you and i know with some people you just cant win , so just put it down to experience if it cost you a couple of bob its less life threatening than stress , keep in touch mate . JP . :cry: ;D :angel: :huh: :cheers:
Will do mate
cheers Chris

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
Thanks for explaining Chris.  I do understand your frustration, it's a lovely vase, nothing wrong with at all.  People can be weird sometimes :spls:

The hugely flawed changes to the eBay feedback system are one of the main reasons I stopped selling there - it's very unfairly weighted.  I don't understand the need for it now anyway, after all if I go into Waitrose and receive bad service they wouldn't allow me to scrawl it (unchecked) in big letters on the outside of the shop for all to see which is what feedback is in reality.

Anyway, hope it works out OK for you.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 09:27:56 AM »
From a buyer's viewpoint - I buy far more than I sell, as Chris knows  ;) - I can tell you that one or two negative feedbacks don't put me off.  I always look to see what exactly the negs were given for, and often I see that they are trivial complaints which IMHO can safely be ignored.  I also think it does help when the seller posts a sensible response, refuting or explaining the reason the neg was given.  I only take note of negs when I see lots, and the same sort of complaints over and over.  Also, I take more notice of abusive responses from sellers to what look as if they could well be fairly deserved negs!  I reckon a rude response to a neg weighs more against a seller for me than the original neg!  (I hope that makes sense  :spls:  ::)

Anyway, your Mdina ice-cut lollipop is definitely a good 'un Chris!  I've got one very similar, and I search for Mdina every day and have seen plenty of these - all different, but all clearly genuine!  Is there no way a seller can take an accusation like this up with ebay?  Have you tried actually ringing and speaking to a real person?  Plenty of Mdina collectors here would back you up if they want a response from Mdina experts.  (I'm sure Mark Hill would be willing to make a comment, too.)  It's something I would try!  I know ebay is madly in favour of buyers against sellers - well, all they want is more money, and don't seem to care if they drive genuine sellers away! 

But I think good sellers like you (and Pip!) need to challenge the unfairness of the system!  Remember, "all it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to remain silent"!   ;)
Leni

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
Agreed about the negatives - I don't get concerned by one or two unless the seller's follow-up replies are particularly rude or unpleasant in tone.  Thanks for the compliment too Leni :)

BTW, off topic I know but I saw you on TV recently - Newsnight I think  :clap:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »
I sometimes get 'lost' reading feedback and skipping around from sellers to buyers comments, I have even blocked some people from my sales because they have left rude or vindictive feedback elsewhere. I browse around like that in theory to see what people are buying (and paying) but really I am just plain nosey. ;D

John

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
I do that too John, we have also blocked people who friends and family have had problems with, bad news spreads much quicker than good news.
Michelle

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2010, 12:07:58 PM »
Glad I'm not alone. ;D

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2010, 08:50:41 PM »

But I think good sellers like you (and Pip!) need to challenge the unfairness of the system!  Remember, "all it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to remain silent"!   ;)
thank you Leni :kissy:
Chris

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »
Just an update, apart from the initial message informing me the vase was 'fake' and despite correspondence from me directing the buyer here for confirmation and asking what how she wants to proceed?  I have had no reply at all, so no news is good news then? read the post and seen the error of her ways and feeling a little silly :ac1: maybe? no such look the vase arrived back today completely unannounced no email no letter enclosed and not registered post.
Chris :sun:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand