No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are the fishscale cameo vases marked as GLF (George L. Fereday) by Webb?  (Read 14288 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Are the fishscale cameo vases marked as GLF (George L. Fereday) by Webb?
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »
Hi Bob

Welcome to the board :)
I love your vase - it's a superb colour and shape.

I'm just cross referencing your post to the thread regarding the Fishscale vase for future reference so they are linked together.

m

[ Mod: topics merged and cross ref removed ]

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bobsaunders

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • united states
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »
Thank you flying free. I have been a member of the boards for years. I changed my user name so it say's I am new.
I consider it the pride of my collection. Murral was a wealth of knowledge. Moser, Tiffany, Loetz etc.
Bob

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
Bob, I wonder what the source of her identification is though?
The initials you quoted (JPS) don't seem to match with either the John Thomas Fereday mentioned just earlier in the thread, or with the initials that have been seen on the base of the vases.
From what has been seen and written so far, that doesn't preclude them being made by John Thomas Fereday, because they might have been, and the initials of GLS or GLF seen on the  base may also still be a retailer.
There is the other issue of the pattern matching up with a vase seen at the Harrach depository and the link between a Bohemian maker and Whitman which also needs to be disentangled.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
http://fieldingsauctions.co.uk/lot/4696

This vase was sold through Fieldings in 2012.  It has a reg design number on it of 41925. I can't find that number on the list I use, but don't have the books and presumably Fieldings checked that number out to give it an id of Thomas Webb.  It has a 'shell' shape small repeat pattern all over it.  There is what looks like another version of this pattern in the Gulliver's Victorian Decorative glass 1850-1914 on page 271 with a different registered design number, but the pattern is the other way up to that on this vase.

There are differences but this vase/jardiniere shape seems to me to bear a marked similarity in shape to this bowl (one with the particular fishscale pattern we are discussing on this thread) I thought, although it is much larger in size.  You need to get to a photo which shows the three ribs on this Trocadero link, to compare the shape properly.
http://www.trocadero.com/mckinleyhill/items/769215/en1.html

Provided the registration number on the Fieldings bowl checks out as Thomas Webb, I think there might be good reason that the fishscale pieces have been attributed to Thomas Webb, although each piece of 'fishscale' on this thread will need double checking.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
Just for future reference:
A shell shape pattern was registered by Thomas Webb on October 8 1886, no 58374 (Source: Gullivers Victorian Decorative Glass 1850-1914 page 271)  The pattern shown 'appears', to my eye, to be a similar but upside down version of the pattern seen on the Fieldings vase I linked to above, although the 'shells' only have 3 lines on them and the Fieldings version seems to have possibly 5 including the outline of the shell shape.
http://fieldingsauctions.co.uk/lot/4696
In Charles Hajdamach's British Glass 1800-1914 page 433 for Thomas Webb, a similar pattern is shown (on a straight sided vase line drawing - on the top line of pictures) to the Gulliver's design  and called ARABESQUE (it also says 'Also called Scale) and has a date of 1886.  It's a difficult line drawing pattern to make out but to me looks the same as the reg design in Gullivers i.e. an upside down version of the shape of the pattern on the vase at Fieldings but with only 3 lines on each 'shell' shape.

The design number of 41925 on the Fieldings vase would date it in the list to January 1886.  But that number is not listed on Great Glass so will need to be checked against maker.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
One in cream with a self pattern fishscale on it, 4 bulbous corners as well and the gilded rim - this one has a few gilded fish on it and some frondy gilded seaweed - signed in black in hand script GLF (or whatever) on the base
http://eronjohnsonantiques.com/collections/glassware/products/g0720-english-stevens-and-williams-koi-decorated-glass-vase

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/lot/104880

two more to add.  Pink with the fishscale pattern, tall vases with gilded bamboo leaves on them.  Unmarked.
Sold at Fielding's, Centuries of Glass March 2014 lot 382 for £440.00 the pair, who say:
'A pair of late 19th Century Stourbridge glass vases, possibly Thomas Webb & Sons, of slender ovoid form with tall drawn necks, each cased in pink over opal and acid cut with a repeat scale design, over gilt decorated in the Oriental taste with bamboo, unmarked, height 22cm.'

This lot 383 in the same sale, appears to have the fishscale pattern but is a clear ground with gilded bamboo and blossom, apparently with an Rd Number to the base - no pic shown of that.
http://fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/lot/104881

There are quite a few of these designs around now, with the fishscale pattern in pink on cream, or cream on cream aren't there?  Then the one or two in clear.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Art-Nouveau-Rare-Glass-Vase-Gilded-Decoration-c-1885-Bird-Butterfly-Flowers-/261461191708?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item3ce04d2c1c
another one here, clear again, different shape but also has that rd number on the base. 
Has a gilded bird on leaves, some tall thin reedy type leaves with small flowers on the other side and a butterfly.  The foot is shallow splayed and gilded

m

Offline glass man

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • usa
Hi, I may have posted under a different name. Here is the base of my oriental style vase. Bob

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
I think the attribution is based on the background of Webb faux cameo pieces of a later date than this. Although Webb had patented a process that would lead to the faux cameo method in 1870s.

I also feel that the GSF (prefer S to L too) raised scale outline decoration style was used by various makers but possibly not Webb at all.  I doubt the GSF variation to be cameo and achieved by flashing and blowing in a mould.
The Roth version is also a contender for mould blown.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand