No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aimo Okkolin For Riihimaen Lasi 'Stromboli' Red Vase???...ID = Riihimaen Export  (Read 6904 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Hi all, is it possible to get confirmation that this is a Aimo Okkolin Stromboli Vase for Riihimaen Lasi?

I plan to put this on the auction block and want to list it accurately. I have checked designlasi, ebay ( ::) ) and do some google searches. Although they have a height listed as 19cm, mine is only 18.4cm.

The one on designlasi definitely looks much nice than mine and better made. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the crap pictures.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
I can see what you mean.  I've got both Stromboli versions and both mine are numbered, feel heavy and scream quality.  Was Stromboli actually made in red?  It doesn't look right to me.

(and an Fire and Sea lists the sizes as 5" and 8")

I am not a man

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
How is the base finished and also how is the rim finished?

John

Offline robert1960

• Members
Hi
It is Riihimaen, it's probably Okkolin, but it isn't Strombloi 1436
It's a cheaper production export vase.

(The indigo blue one below is a Stromboli 1436, the other pair export vases)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Well...it weighs 530 grams. Description of the rest! Not my strong points. Ok. The base is slightly concave with 'ripples'. Not really ripples but seems like it has 3 'steps' to the base. I hope this makes sense. Not completely polished as it still has some matt qualities to the finish. A bit deceiving as it looks like glue from a label. It does some have some good wear to the outer ring part. So it does have some age to it.

The rim is good. Rounded but not polished. I am assuming because it is mould blown!?

The quality is good to this piece and i am sure it is a good 60's Scandi piece. But whether it is a 'Stromboli' piece i am not sure. It doesn't look right!

Designlasi lists a few sizes of 13.5cm, 15cm, 19cm, 20cm & 25cm. The rim on this piece...

http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/stromboli-1436-okkolin-aimo-4

Looks exactly like mine. But the shape and overall look doesn't...They don't have a base shot though...

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Thank you robert for the comparison pics!

I can see the differences! So, it should be ok to list this a Riihimaen piece without the reference to 1436?

Why were the export pieces of different quality?

I am so glad I brought this up before listing!  :hiclp: I would have looked like a fool...just another day!  :sm:

Offline robert1960

• Members
Oh, it's definitely Riihimaki, and probably Okkolin
What I call the export vases are generally lighter, have flat bases (as opposed to moulded/ringed bases) and would probably have had the 'Made In Finland' rectangular label, rather than the Finncristall or the Riihimaen Lasi Oy labels.
The Stromboli would have the triangular label, and, more often than not, be etch-marked (with the Lynx mark) and numbered.
It may be that the lead content of the glass is lower, causing them to weigh less ?.. but I'm not really up on the manufacturing methods..
 maybe somebody else can weigh in here ?  

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
I don't know the weight or feel of the 1436 as I have never seen one in person.

And I must say...what a stunning collection robert. I am thoroughly impressed and many thanks for the extra information. It is highly appreciated.  ;D

Offline robert1960

• Members
Thanks ! :)

I don't have one here at the moment, but would imagine a decent example to be about the 750/800g mark

Robert

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
That is a fair difference in weight...hopefully I get to hold one one day and see the differences close up...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand