No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vetri murano bowl, made by who?  (Read 9883 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Re: Vetri murano bowl, made by who?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »
Hi Jurgen, I have found out who 040 is. By luck i was at at an antiques fair this morning and spotted a a vase with the Vetri 040 label and was clearly signed. I only had my camera phone but the name read Marcello Farlon 87 (or something very silmilar) and also another name at the bottom which I guess is the company? Hope this is helpful, Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »
 :thup:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 03:57:33 PM »
Hi, found this on Google
"Born in Venice in 1962 to a Murano family, Marcello Furlan owes his passion for blown glass to his father, a master glassmaker. In 1984 after having studied architecture for several years at Venice University, he began work in his family’s glass business. During this period he was responsible for designing and developing new decorative glass features and objects. In 1998 he began a career as designer of lighting fixtures, in parallel with his other career as a freelance graphic artist in advertising."

I reckon this is the fellow!

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »
BINGO!! Great detective work, Whatho!  I am excited for you that you found out.  This signature drove me crazy.  I wonder if there is any relation to Walter Furlan?  So glad this one was resolved quickly.  Great job!! 

tam bam

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:09:21 PM »
What Ho! Glad to be of service, im sure Jurgen is going to be a happy chappie when he reads this  ;) Wolfie

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:08 PM »
Marcello is Walter's son. I've been trying to decipher the other writing to see if we can come up with another name. I didn't see a company for Marcello on Jerry's Fossilfly list. So I wonder if Furlan missed the list or if the 040 company has another name.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »
Ah Ha... That is why I saw such quality in the bowl.  Makes sense now that he is Walter's son.   :thup:  What a find!!

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »
I tried to find something on Marcello, but didn't have much luck other than he was born in 1962. Walter Furlan had a son Mario, who became a master from what I read. So I wonder if M Furlan might be Mario or Marcello. After writing that Marcello was Walter's son, I realize that I just assumed this because of the statement of the father being a glass master. There may have been other glass people in the Furlan family. I don't know all the masters. Reading a bit added a lot of uncertainty about what seemed so plain.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »
Thanks for all the help, Wolfie!! Marcello Furlan certainly is the maker of these pieces of glass, but I think we need to find out the name of Walter's company to nail down VM 040. My feeling is that the other name on that piece of glass is maybe a product line or something of that nature. For me its too early to tell. And on a brighter note, I now know TWO Wolfies!! .........................Again, many thanks to everyone, Jerry

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 02:07:50 PM »
To my great surprie I just stumbled on a book called "Die Welt des Günther Lambert" - basically a product catalogue from 1990 witl lots of lloyd loomish chairs, ashleyesque cushions, printed chintz covers and bistro style garden sets, accompanied by hilariously bad copywriting. The section glass is full of almosts: almost nice decanters, almost functional drinking glasses, almost the real thing.  "The best, the finest, the most expensive comes from Murano. Objects which Marcello Furlan makes for us". and "We have learned much from Marcello. And he from us. It is a pleasure to work with him. And an extravagance which we afford. In every respect. And in the end, also in the price." 
According to the price list, a green footed bowl with graded gold will set you back DM 495 (30 cm) - divide by 2 to get euros. And remember, this was 20 years ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand