No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight azurene - bowl? blue? year?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Isle of Wight azurene - bowl? blue? year?
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:12:45 PM »
I've been trying to pin this down and hoping I've come to the right information/conclusion using Mark Hill's book :hiclp:
So if I have it right, this is 10 cm in diameter and is this a Blue Azurene disc bowl (my description so I can find it in my photos, using the name of this shape given to a Kerry Glass bowl in the book) produced between 1979 (? that was when blue was introduced but I have no idea if the shape was made then) and 1985 (from 1986 the shape disappears from the catalogues shown at the back of the book).  The label may date it 1980 to 1985?
Did I get it right?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Isle of Wight azurene - bowl? blue? year?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »
ah, after more searching is this called a doughnut? and is it black azurene rather than blue?
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:48:12 AM »
It does look like black azurene - the base colour of the glass is very dark. Not sure about the pale blue though. My interest in IoWSG ends with the advent of azurene and I don't pay much attention to it or most of what came after it. As a result I am not much help, the shape does look like the Kerry disc bowl illustrated in the book though (page 95).

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:45:07 AM »
My monitor colours are still weird, but I think this is Black Azurene - the pale blue comes from the reaction of the silver foil oxidising a little. Blue Azurene is decidedly bright cobalt in colour, not the dense inky deep blue which is "black". The triangular label puts this shape between '78 and ~ '90.
You'll see a picture of one of these pieces on the back cover of the book.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
thanks John and Sue.
Sue, I did see the pic on the back of the book and yes this is a dark inky blue.  It appears that this shape was not in the catalogues after 1985 from what I could see in the book so I just wanted to check dates.
I was trying to downsize my collection a little bit anyway, but now with a massive unexpected vet's bill for our Border Collie this week, I am 'having' to sell some bits so I wanted to get it right.
thanks again :)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »
Hope the dog's ok  :X:
Any info I have about dates and shapes in catalogues comes straight from Mark's book (MIchael Harris: Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass), so I won't be telling you anything different to the info. you already have. Neither will Suzy or John, or Mark or Ron.  :usd:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 12:35:22 PM »
Sue thanks and thanks for asking about the dog.  Cafe talk, but no, she is struggling at the moment.  She's 12 1/2 and just had a big operation on her jaw where it had become infected somehow.  She pulled through that unbelievably well (she might be 12 1/2 but she comes from good solid farming stock and is very healthy).  However it took a few days to come out of the anaesthetic really and then a couple of days later oh took her out, let her off the lead and she tore a ligament in her leg :'(  She's on painkillers but I suspect we may be looking at another operation on that.
So money flooding out like water here as we've never had insurance on her, hence needing to sell now.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand