No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Candy Container? - Glass - Vintage Car = ID = T. H. Stough Co. Jeannette, Pennsylvania  (Read 1572 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
 :hi: I have this.  I am assuming that it might be a candy Container, but then on the side it says:  Avor. 1 and 1/2 something.  The word Average shorten would be Aver, so maybe that is Average in French, or ??

Is is a Glass Candy Container?  Any ideas on maker, or age?   I looked around on this site here: http://www.candycontainer.org/  but did not see any info there -- or else missed it.

Thanks  :kissy:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Candy Container? - Glass - Vintage Car
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:03:52 AM »
Yes that is a candy container but <sounds like> :

Ding Dong - Avon crawling! Or as they say in Canada: Avon besoin de rien

Still, collectable it is.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »
Yes that is a candy container but <sounds like> :

:ooh: Ding Dong - Avon crawling! Or as they say in Canada: Avon besoin de rien  :sc:

Still, collectable it is.

Thanks Ivo -- Avon went through my mind, but when it said *AVOR* with an *R* not a N - I was not sure.  I thought Avon was spelled Avon even in French too.  As for myself, I have never seen Avon Candy Containers ever that I recall (as we had an Aunt that sold Avon) so would see the catalogs quite often, but do not recall seeing Glass Candy Containers by Avon........Have seen the cars that held cologne in Avon (many) but this one posted here does not have a bottom to it (unless it was cardboard once).

Knew Avon had Glass Cars for Cologne ----- but never for Candy.  Learn something new...

Do you have an idea of Year?
Thxs

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
Not associated with Avon, as this research indicates.

This item is shown as #51 in Eikelberner's and Agadjanian's fine book, "Compleat American Glass Candy Containers Handbook" (1986). They call it "Coupe with Long Hood USA". They attribute this piece to T. H. Stough Co., Jeannette, Pennsylvania, and they note that it appears in Butler Brothers catalogs (1916-17) as well as G. Sommers catalogs in the 1920s.

I think the AVOR means "avordupois" (a system of weights/measures) as it is followed by capacity in ounces.   
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
Not associated with Avon, as this research indicates.

This item is shown as #51 in Eikelberner's and Agadjanian's fine book, "Compleat American Glass Candy Containers Handbook" (1986). They call it "Coupe with Long Hood USA". They attribute this piece to T. H. Stough Co., Jeannette, Pennsylvania, and they note that it appears in Butler Brothers catalogs (1916-17) as well as G. Sommers catalogs in the 1920s.

I think the AVOR means "avordupois" (a system of weights/measures) as it is followed by capacity in ounces.  

Thanks jsmeasell:

:o You mean it is that old if "it appears in Butler Brothers catalogs (1916-17) as well as G. Sommers catalogs in the 1920s" as you state.  Wow, is all I can say.  I thought maybe (??) the 50's, but not that old.

Yes, after the word *AVOR* there looks to be a figure for a measurment, and might be a small *o* after the number for ounces then??

Thank you Jsmeasell -- I had to look more than twice at it too to see if it was Avon, or Avor.....but as stated at the start of the post -- it appeared to me to be AVOR.

If if is American -- Why would they use the word (shorten version) Avor for Avordupois (in America) as I have never heard such a word for measurements in my life......or ever saw anything with that before.....I find that strange...........and also a strange word too (for American) to use even me being Canadian....never heard of it.  

:thup: With that info you provided, found these links now (Good Links);
http://www.oldbarn.com/items_1_-_64.htm
http://www.cowanauctions.com/past_sales_lots.asp?page=8&SaleId=82
http://www.cowanauctions.com/upcoming_category_list.asp?SaleId=82&cat=815&mcat=12

I only paid .25 cents for this piece of glass  ;D

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:22:10 PM »
Eikelberner's and Agadjanian record the lettering on the piece as "AVOR 1 1/2 ozs". I recall seeing canned goods in the US in the 1950s with the weight in standard pounds/ounces with the "AV. WT." [avordupois weight] also given.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
Rose, avoirdupois is the measurement system we (as in old fashioned Brits and Canadians) and the Americans use (i.e. not the metric system)... more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoirdupois
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »
Thanks all:

Yes,  I have seen on Canned food the measurement of "AV. WT" on them, but DUH  :thud: I thought that meant "Average Weight".  I guess school was a long, long, loooooong time ago -- in a far, far away place....

But one thing for sure -- I would not touch that with a 3.048 meter (10 foot) Pole...    :24:       >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :wsh:

10 foot Pole in Metric ...... LOL               (Silly Canadians)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 11:49:18 PM »
On cans it probably does mean that Rose... the problem with abbreviations is they're only useful if the reader knows what they stand for IYKWIM...  :ooh:  :chky:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »
On cans it probably does mean that Rose... the problem with abbreviations is they're only useful if the reader knows what they stand for IYKWIM...  :ooh:  :chky:

Exactly Anne:
I had to stop and think what IYKWIM meant....................Perfect point!  Touche

Icur2y's4me -- Anne  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand