No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fenton confirmation request for carnival bowl  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Fenton confirmation request for carnival bowl
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
Actually Christine didn't say added later. She said added in the UK. There is no reason for the base not to be contemporary with the glass. It's likely it was done before the piece was retailed; it would have been too expensive to have had it done to second-hand glass.

EPNS and silver plate are not necessarily the same. EPNS contains no silver, so you need to be looking for the right sort of mark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »
my thanks again, of course.    I have the main book on silver/gold marks for metalwork/flatware, but I notice that those books cater almost exclusively for the high value metal content pieces  -  and avoid the EPNS end of the market - they often include pewter.    Manufacturers of EPNS (or at least those companies that plated such common items as flatware and small stands such as mine) are legion, and I don't recall seeing a book detailing these.   I will investigate your link.
I have spent the last 20 years collecting the odd knife, spoon and fork whilst browsing the contents of boot sales  -  EPNS and Sheffield Plate - with the idea that when I retire I will find, hopefully, that I have collected something interesting (I have enough to open a cutlery shop).  Coincidentally, last Sunday morning was obviously my 'EPNS morning', as you will see elsewhere :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »
Sheffield plate is real silver plate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum