Author Topic: Red Kluk Kluk Decanter???  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Maitresse

• Members
Red Kluk Kluk Decanter???
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:34:56 PM »
Hi,
This is my first ever message & so if I've put it in the wrong place, I'm sorry.....

Today, I bought what I believe to be a Kluk Kluk decanter complete with stopper. Its exactly 1ft high & it's red. I've never seen a red one & I've trawled through the few books that I have & the internet, but can't find anything that confirms that they ever made any in any colours other than green, kingfisher blue, smokey & clear.

Please could someone give me any info....

Many thanks

:rah:

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Red Kluk Kluk Decanter???
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
Kluk kluks were made by many companies, so red is not unlikely. Kluk kluk is a style not a design name from the sound it makes when poured from. One even appeared in Star Trek

Offline Maitresse

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
Oh....ok....thanks. Do you happen to know what they were actually called & any of the other companies?

I thought that they were only made by Holmegaard. I did actually see the pics from Star Trek & they fitted in perfectly!

I've taken some photos & going to try & add them.....wish me luck!!!!

Offline Maitresse

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
Pictures

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »
Well done on adding pictures but they are a little too small. You need to resize (i.e. compress, not reduce the resolution or crop) a high-resolution picture so that the longest dimension is about 700 pixels. See here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.msg55557.html#msg55557 for help.

A base shot and one of the stopper would be good. And the right way up would help too  ;D

I know little about Scandinavian glass beyond that fact about kluk kluks.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
    • Wilson & Coleman
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »
Glimma Glasbruk, Sweden.

Offline Maitresse

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
That's great :-)

Many thanks for the info.....any idea on rarity or price...not that I'm selling!!! I can't bear to part with such gorgeous things :-) But, I would like to know whether I paid too much or hopefully got a bargain :-)

It's in immaculate condition!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
    • Wilson & Coleman
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
Kluk kluk is a style not a design name from the sound it makes when poured from.

Oops, missed this. 'Kluk Kluk' is Holmegaard's own marketing name for the decanters, introduced, I think, in the 1950s/60s. Elsewhere in Denmark they're just 'klukflaske', sometimes 'angster', in Sweden I believe they're 'kluckaflaska', and across Europe they're 'kuttrolf'.

any idea on rarity or price...not that I'm selling!!! I can't bear to part with such gorgeous things :-) But, I would like to know whether I paid too much or hopefully got a bargain :-)

I think they were in production for a while, but they don't seem to have been exported too heavily out of Sweden. I couldn't really say much on its value.

Offline Maitresse

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »

Many thanks for all the responses :-)

It is so lovely that I can't believe that they didn't produce them for long. I have seen another post & saw that they, unfortunately didn't have a stopper & am so happy that mine has one. It's so perfect, it feels like it was made yesterday :-) (I just hope it wasn't :-)  :X:)

I've been trying to look for Glimma Glasbruk, but there's hardly anything on the internet. Are there any books that anyone would recommend I should be buying to learn more about Scandinavian glass?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
    • Wilson & Coleman
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
Glimma was one of many quite small Swedish glassworks, so it's unlikely you'll find anything substantial in any of the major books on Scandinavian glass. All I know of it is that it was extant between 1919 - 1969 and was based in GlimÄkra.

The town does have a glass museum, so it's possible there may be some minor publications/pamphlets on the factory. Contact details:

http://www.glimakra.se/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=32

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com