No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red Kluk Kluk Decanter???  (Read 6283 times)

Offline Maitresse

• Members
Red Kluk Kluk Decanter???
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:34:56 PM »
Hi,
This is my first ever message & so if I've put it in the wrong place, I'm sorry.....

Today, I bought what I believe to be a Kluk Kluk decanter complete with stopper. Its exactly 1ft high & it's red. I've never seen a red one & I've trawled through the few books that I have & the internet, but can't find anything that confirms that they ever made any in any colours other than green, kingfisher blue, smokey & clear.

Please could someone give me any info....

Many thanks

:rah:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Red Kluk Kluk Decanter???
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
Kluk kluks were made by many companies, so red is not unlikely. Kluk kluk is a style not a design name from the sound it makes when poured from. One even appeared in Star Trek

Offline Maitresse

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
Oh....ok....thanks. Do you happen to know what they were actually called & any of the other companies?

I thought that they were only made by Holmegaard. I did actually see the pics from Star Trek & they fitted in perfectly!

I've taken some photos & going to try & add them.....wish me luck!!!!

Offline Maitresse

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
Pictures

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »
Well done on adding pictures but they are a little too small. You need to resize (i.e. compress, not reduce the resolution or crop) a high-resolution picture so that the longest dimension is about 700 pixels. See here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.msg55557.html#msg55557 for help.

A base shot and one of the stopper would be good. And the right way up would help too  ;D

I know little about Scandinavian glass beyond that fact about kluk kluks.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »
Glimma Glasbruk, Sweden.

Offline Maitresse

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
That's great :-)

Many thanks for the info.....any idea on rarity or price...not that I'm selling!!! I can't bear to part with such gorgeous things :-) But, I would like to know whether I paid too much or hopefully got a bargain :-)

It's in immaculate condition!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
Kluk kluk is a style not a design name from the sound it makes when poured from.

Oops, missed this. 'Kluk Kluk' is Holmegaard's own marketing name for the decanters, introduced, I think, in the 1950s/60s. Elsewhere in Denmark they're just 'klukflaske', sometimes 'angster', in Sweden I believe they're 'kluckaflaska', and across Europe they're 'kuttrolf'.

any idea on rarity or price...not that I'm selling!!! I can't bear to part with such gorgeous things :-) But, I would like to know whether I paid too much or hopefully got a bargain :-)

I think they were in production for a while, but they don't seem to have been exported too heavily out of Sweden. I couldn't really say much on its value.

Offline Maitresse

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »

Many thanks for all the responses :-)

It is so lovely that I can't believe that they didn't produce them for long. I have seen another post & saw that they, unfortunately didn't have a stopper & am so happy that mine has one. It's so perfect, it feels like it was made yesterday :-) (I just hope it wasn't :-)  :X:)

I've been trying to look for Glimma Glasbruk, but there's hardly anything on the internet. Are there any books that anyone would recommend I should be buying to learn more about Scandinavian glass?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
Glimma was one of many quite small Swedish glassworks, so it's unlikely you'll find anything substantial in any of the major books on Scandinavian glass. All I know of it is that it was extant between 1919 - 1969 and was based in GlimÄkra.

The town does have a glass museum, so it's possible there may be some minor publications/pamphlets on the factory. Contact details:

http://www.glimakra.se/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=32

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand