No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Odd looking Murano ? paperweight with sun pattern, late 20th C ?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I bought this paperweight on ebay because in an odd way I like it. I guess to any paperweight purist it looks crude and naive as an interpretaion of the sun !

I think it is defo. Murano and probably late 20th century.

Any ideas on the maker....and also ....does anyone like it ? ..or is it only me  :hi:  Cheers, Mike.

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Odd looking Murano ? paperweight with sun pattern, late 20th C ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:41 PM »
Mike, it is a Fratelli Toso pw. I believe it is one from the 1960s, though it might be early 1970s. Good find.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:54:09 AM »
Thanks Anita ,

Thats very good news ! I hoped it was 1960's/70's rather than later .

The colours of the canes are very pastel in nature and that's the reason I thought it might be later (but I know nothing!). I've never seen a pattern like this before (which isn't saying much) . Were they produced in any quantity do you know ?

Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 07:07:54 AM »
The height is just under 3 inches and the diameter just over 3 inches. I've added a pic. in natural light and also one of the base for future reference . It's difficult to photograph the canes and get them in focus !
Mike

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »
Nice design but a shame that the setup was not arranged with just one blue "ray" heading out to each one of the canes.

Photographing canes at the outer edge of a design like that can be difficult, especially when there is a high dome (quite typical for many Muroan weights). Sometimes it can be made easier by immersing the whole weight in water, which has the effect of "raising" anything at the outer edge into a better overall focus. Can work well for a full top-down photo to show detail of all canes in one image.
KevinH

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
Hi Kev,

What a fantastic suggestion ! Here it is drowned in water. (had to wait a bit for the ripples to subside). But it sure did work !!

I know what you mean about the 'rays' ....if it is the sun !.....could be a flower !! I would just like to put it down to artisic licence (and the heat of the Italian sun !) ...it would be great to see another example !

You guys & gals on Glassmessages are just tops....how do you know it all ?! :sun: Ta , Mike.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand