No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: white enamelled with random red threads paperweight  (Read 1469 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
white enamelled with random red threads paperweight
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »
I don't collect paperweights and really have no idea at all about this (bad, good, otherwise) however I love it because it's very contemporary, a bit different and is more a decorated ball than a paperweight I suppose.
It isn't signed, but I was wondering if anyone recognised it at all please?

many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: white enamelled with random red threads paperweight
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:44:35 PM »
Do you think this should move to the main glass board perhaps - maybe the enamel decor will be recognised possibly from a vase or  bowl from a range   :)

thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »
Give it some time for people to look in and then look around. If there are no responses in, say, a week's time, then moving it might help.

For now, I will comment that the white coating seems to have been formed from powdered glass marvered onto the clear. This is indicated by the fact that the base view shows an irregular surface at the edge of the white. Had the white been added as an "overlay coating", for example, then the edge would have been smooth.

Powdered coatings have been used by Chinese companies for "overlay weights". But whether this weight is from China, I can't say.
KevinH

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:22:08 AM »
I agree that the white layer appears to be powder.  The fact that the white appears to be a bit thinner at the top surface supports this idea.  Powder is used everywhere and does not provide any clue as to the origin of the piece.

I rather like it, whoever or wherever it came from.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
AT first glance it reminded me of a Kosta Boda weight that I own  Mine is a "Galaxy Red" from the Artist Collection.  If one ignores the large red spot it has similarities.

BUT - I have not seen this sort of item from Kosta Boda without having artist code, the word Kosta or Boda, and a production number.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 01:39:27 PM »
Reminds me of my unidentified vase in this thread http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26926.msg147616.html#msg147616

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »
thank you all for your comments  :) Kev sorry I wasn't harrassing at all, but was slightly embarrassed that my odd white ball-shaped glass was possibly not in the right place ;D and perhaps should have been on the glass id board.
I have learnt something, it is marvered on rather than enamelled so thank you  :)
I think this is really nicely made.  The red threads are very well done, it's finished well at the base.  And it's very cloud like and attractive in it's own way. 
Ahremck I dont' know about Kosta Boda but I thought it was all signed or stamped in some way?  But there are similarities aren't there?  interesting.

Martyn I agree again there are similarities although the white in your vase looks as though it is cased in clear as the final outer layer?  This weight has the white as the last layer and it is slightly textured, the threads are ridged, you can feel each one.  Is your vase like that?

thanks again I really appreciate your help.
m

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Yes, white on the outside for my vase...no clear casing, I think (but will double check if I can find it) It is very smooth and well finished though.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »
 I saw this tonight.  Perhaps my weight is Mdina?

auction number 290480342345

Martyn I don't know about your vase as the signature isn't familiar but the shape looks a little Mdina ish as well and they were fond of white decor at one point though I thought it was all cased.  But then this mushroom on this link looks as though the white is on top ?? maybe??
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand