No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb 'Sunshine Amber' with intaglio cut river scene  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Webb 'Sunshine Amber' with intaglio cut river scene
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 01:50:32 AM »
These are really mega loveluies, it is so rare to get production glass from that period with humour included, I always regretted parting with mine but Parkington was good at bribery and what he forced me to sell my best pieces to him at was quite obscene.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:17:53 AM »
Thanks again for the  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: comments  ;)  ;D

Christine has informed me that the 'Gay Glass' range was designed by Thomas Pitchford.  Frank, do you (or does anyone else!) know anything about who would have been responsible for the cutting of this design, or what it was called, or anything else about it?  It doesn't seem to be one of the four designs, plain, rippled, bullseye and waterlily, or did those names just refer to the shapes?  :huh: 

Any additional information would be great!  Thank you  :)
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »
Waterlily is cut Plain. Ripple and Bullseye are mould effects. The Gay range of shapes seems quite large.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »
A Bullseye,as Christine says,one of many shapes.....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
 :tsk:

Getting back to the fabulous vase, according to my reading (with extra close-up glasses and a magnifing glass) there seems to be the number 45897 under this shape of vase in the image of the catalogue on p.141 of Hajdamach's 20th century book.

We know it's Webb, we know it's Sunshine Amber, we know it's not the intaglio cut of Waterlilies which is the "normal" standard in the Gay Glass range.

We know Frank had one, now with Parkington, so it's unlikely to be a complete one-off, (unless this turns out to be the same vase).

So has anybody any idea where this fabulous cut originated, who may have designed it, who cut it and was there somebody behind commissioning this unusual design?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
We know Frank had one, now with Parkington, so it's unlikely to be a complete one-off, (unless this turns out to be the same vase).

:o :thud:  Not Impossible, I suppose, although I would have thought it a bit unlikely!  What in fact happened to the rest of the Parkington collection?  I know from Frank's Monart Glass page http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/Monartglass.htm that a large part of it was sold in 1997 and 1998, but was that only Monart & Vasart pieces?  If so, what happened to the rest?  :huh: 

So has anybody any idea where this fabulous cut originated, who may have designed it, who cut it and was there somebody behind commissioning this unusual design?

That's just what I was hoping to discover, Sue  :) Thank you for bringing the thread back to those questions!  I wish someone could answer them, or at least give me an idea where to start looking for answers!  :spls: 
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 02:22:44 PM »
A sizeable chunk went to Broadfield house, presumably the chunk on loan in the V&A stayed there. Some got distributed privately and the rest went in a two day auction at Christies, the two catalogues are themselves collectors items as their coverage of British glass was great. A fair amount got broken or damaged by the auctioneers. There were some minor errors of attribution in the catalogues.

No idea who designed it but there can't be that many options, I presume it was made after WW2??

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »
'A fair amount got broken or damaged by the auctioneers'...........streuth  -  well they certainaly won't be handling my collection ;).   One or two may be understandable  -  but 'a fair amount' sounds deplorable for an auction house of that repute. :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand