No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brussels World Fair '58  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Annella

• Members
Brussels World Fair '58
« on: December 11, 2005, 01:16:54 AM »
Hi all! About a year ago I bought a sommerso vase with a faded red and gold sticker that read ' Grand Prize Winner Brussels World Fair 1958'
Now...I am still a novice at glass but I see many Murano vases from that period that would run rings around the amber one I have! The shape is lovely, a kind of twisted top but...... it is amber and I guess the shape is not all that special.
I have a digital camera now so must organise how to download photos. :) Anyway, my question is... do any of you know of fake World Fair labels or can you suggest a site where I can go check about winning glass from that particular fair??
Thanks in anticipation :)

Lyn

Offline chuggy

• Members
Brussels World Fair '58
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 10:38:09 AM »
The thing to remember Lyn is that this particular fair covered a whole spectrum including many ordinary household furnishings, often quite utilitarian in nature as well as the more flambuoyany special exhibition pieces and all pieces shown qualified to carry the fairs label. I've had some quite ordinary pieces, albeit from good producers that carry the labels, but have not yet come across fake labels as I honestly don't think it worth faking unless to "age" a modern piece.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Annella

• Members
Brussels World Fair '58
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 06:45:24 AM »
Thanks Paul...that pretty much explains it. I guess the word ' winner' had me up, but then as you say, any pieces shown at that Fair were good anyways.  :)  I do feel some relief at not paying 100's of $ for the vase, and I do like it. But......it is amber!!  lol
Thanks for your help

Lyn

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Brussels World Fair '58
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 05:17:57 PM »
For what it's worth, I've had a few pieces with that worlds fair sticker that also bore Archimede Seguso labels. Is the vase a sommerso?

Laura

Offline Annella

• Members
Brussels World Fair '58
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 08:11:40 PM »
Hi Laura. :)  Yes, it is sommerso, and quite tall also, at least 30 cms.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
Brussels World Fair '58
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 04:50:46 PM »
Possibly Archimede Seguso, then.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Brussels World Fair '58
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »
Lyn
Could you post a photo please ?

PS What's wrong with amber ?
Pete

Offline Annella

• Members
Brussels World Fair '58
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 03:16:54 AM »
Hiya Peter!  Ummm...well, I WILL post a photo when I get organised and learn how to download then post them, so Im afraid you will all have to read about this vase again in the future. Sorry!  :lol:

Amber?? Well I personally think it is rather boring and also remember reading a thread on these boards months ago about how everyone else seemed to think the same as me! I bought this particular piece because it was a World Fair winner, amber or not. Still...it looks pretty cool on my window sill with a bowl that matches it very well. Will post both soon.

Have a great Christmas everyone...Im off to spray snow on our windows. Sad but true, 27 degrees and high humidity. What I'd give for a few real snowflakes! :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand