No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: plate and bottle , any ideas?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
plate and bottle , any ideas?
« on: August 15, 2010, 12:32:18 PM »
Hi ,
         These 2 items came with a lot of 18thc glass which i am more familier with , I suspect they are probably fairly recent ,20thc , but really I have no idea , except that they appear to be much heaver than older items I have handled in the past,the plate has an etched mark on the pontil that I am assuming reads 'Venice Italia', any ideas would be much appreciated.

Click here to view.

Many thanks ,
          oldglassman.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: plate and bottle , any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
They are gorgeous latticino pieces. The signature on the plate is Venini, Italia. These signatures are often faked. Your plate looks like the work of Venini to me, so I believe your signature is legitimate. Venini signed most of their glass, so if your bottle is not signed, it was probably done by someone else. It is apparent that it is a very good Murano glass bottle.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:20:52 PM »
Hi , Thanks for that, I had thought it may have said venini but decided on the cautious approach these items being completely out of my comfort zone , the bottle looks to me to be made from the same heavy metal and in the same colours though it is unsigned,

Can I ask what date these may have been produced and should I be looking for a venini buyer or let SHMBO have them , she thinks they are pretty !!!,

Many thanks,
        Oldglassman.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
I checked Marc Heiremans book, Murano Glass Themes and Variations. There is an engraved signature much like the one on your plate on page 205. Heiremans wrote the 2-line engraved signatures were introduced in 1965/66 and used until 1970. So it would place your piece in the late 1960s.

About the bottle -- the colors are the same, but the latticino itself is very different. The bottle is not signed, so I wouldn't assume Venini. There are a couple of companies that did pieces that were finished with metal tops -- Fratelli Toso and AVeM. These (and other companies) are possibilities for who made your bottle.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »
My first thought was that it read Venini too.  :thup:
Beautiful photographs of a lovely piece, Peter!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:28:31 AM »
Hi ,
       Many thanks to Anita for the information,just shows that even an Oldglassman can learn something new,and thanks to Sue for the compliments on the photographs,it looks like SHMBO has laid claim now as nobody has suggested that it has any significant value,
Oh well back to the 18thc now were I feel more at home ,

Many thanks :hiclp: ,

Oldglassman.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand