Author Topic: Webb Corbett Deco-style cut bowl 1930 - 1947  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Webb Corbett Deco-style cut bowl 1930 - 1947
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »
:o

Is there any age-related wear which suggests it should have a lid?

Not really, Sue.  But surely it would depend on how early in its life the lid was broken!  ;D  ;)

It's far too good for biscuits - hand made chocolates, I could understand.
Yay!  I agree!  Hand made choccies it is then!   :D 
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
I found some fantastic ones at the weekend....... luscious semi-dried apricots, stuffed with marzipan, coated in 70% dark chocolate..........
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
We must have similar tastes Sue!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
 ;D

I think it might be more cost effective to make your own, but at least I've passed the idea on!
They were heaven-in-the-mouth!
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 12:47:39 AM »
There is an ebay listing for a cut glass tea caddy with an EPNS lid at the moment.  I am not sure that is what it is but think it could be for chocs or something nor I am saying the glass is like yours but the approximate size and shape are and thought you might be interested in looking at it.   

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
Thank you  :)  Yes, it's certainly a similar shape, which would tend to suggest that Nigel was right about the idea of mine being a biscuit jar.  I have no idea what sort of lid mine might have, but I think probably not one like in the ebay listing, as there is no sign of wear on the outside - not that there's any on the inside either, but still!  :D  Also the pattern on mine goes fairly high up near the top edge, and the edge has a chamfer cut on the inside of the rim.  This would seem to indicate a lid which fitted inside rather than over the top  :-\  Has anyone any other pictures of this sort of biscuit jar with a glass lid? 
Leni

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
Leni,

The lid goes both over the top and inside ;) :o

In other words the lid has been recessed with a flange, or step, to locate onto the base and stay in place - well loosely ;) :)

Nigel

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
Thanks Nigel  :)  Funnily enough, earlier this afternoon I was flicking through your booklet 'Art Deco to Post Modernism - A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass' written with Jeanette Hayhurst to accompany the exhibition held in 2003.  What should I find on the top of page 24, under the heading 'Webb & Corbett', but a picture of two biscuit barrels, c1935, one with geometric cutting and one with wavy lines - and both with lids exactly as you describe!  :D  I guess that's pretty definite confirmation that my 'bowl' is a biscuit barrel!   ;D 

Many thanks again  :kissy:
Leni

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com