No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett Deco-style cut bowl 1930 - 1947  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Webb Corbett Deco-style cut bowl 1930 - 1947
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »
:o

Is there any age-related wear which suggests it should have a lid?

Not really, Sue.  But surely it would depend on how early in its life the lid was broken!  ;D  ;)

It's far too good for biscuits - hand made chocolates, I could understand.
Yay!  I agree!  Hand made choccies it is then!   :D 
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
I found some fantastic ones at the weekend....... luscious semi-dried apricots, stuffed with marzipan, coated in 70% dark chocolate..........
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
We must have similar tastes Sue!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
 ;D

I think it might be more cost effective to make your own, but at least I've passed the idea on!
They were heaven-in-the-mouth!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 12:47:39 AM »
There is an ebay listing for a cut glass tea caddy with an EPNS lid at the moment.  I am not sure that is what it is but think it could be for chocs or something nor I am saying the glass is like yours but the approximate size and shape are and thought you might be interested in looking at it.   

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
Thank you  :)  Yes, it's certainly a similar shape, which would tend to suggest that Nigel was right about the idea of mine being a biscuit jar.  I have no idea what sort of lid mine might have, but I think probably not one like in the ebay listing, as there is no sign of wear on the outside - not that there's any on the inside either, but still!  :D  Also the pattern on mine goes fairly high up near the top edge, and the edge has a chamfer cut on the inside of the rim.  This would seem to indicate a lid which fitted inside rather than over the top  :-\  Has anyone any other pictures of this sort of biscuit jar with a glass lid? 
Leni

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
Leni,

The lid goes both over the top and inside ;) :o

In other words the lid has been recessed with a flange, or step, to locate onto the base and stay in place - well loosely ;) :)

Nigel

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
Thanks Nigel  :)  Funnily enough, earlier this afternoon I was flicking through your booklet 'Art Deco to Post Modernism - A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass' written with Jeanette Hayhurst to accompany the exhibition held in 2003.  What should I find on the top of page 24, under the heading 'Webb & Corbett', but a picture of two biscuit barrels, c1935, one with geometric cutting and one with wavy lines - and both with lids exactly as you describe!  :D  I guess that's pretty definite confirmation that my 'bowl' is a biscuit barrel!   ;D 

Many thanks again  :kissy:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand