No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight - what is this please?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Isle of Wight - what is this please?
« on: August 15, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
I'm well and truly stuck on this one.  I have looked and looked and cannot even work out what range it may be  :-[
Neither can I seem to find the shape anywhere in the book or looking at pics online  :-\  any help as to what this may be would be much appreciated and many thanks.  It is a really pretty bowl with 5 huge bubbles as petals and the middle bit goes right down into the glass into a point.  There is a 3d effect with the inclusions where a flower shape is set on top of the main bit and has the bubbles in between as sepals as though it has been blown in separate layers.
It is 11.5cm wide and 3cm tall.

Thanks for any help or thoughts :)
m

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Re: Isle of Wight - what is this please?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:46:48 PM »
Wow! What an amazing bowl. I've got over 250 pieces of IOWSG and I've not seen anything like that. I suspect it's a one-off. The shape of the bowl is non-standard, as you say, and the pattern is a new one to me, though it has some similarities to New Kyoto.

Sue and Suzy are more experienced than me when it comes to IOWSG. Maybe they can pin it down.

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »
Anton, you have to be joking! you've got nearly 200 more bits than I do.
I'd think this is an experimental or trial piece, or perhaps from the "glassmakers' shelves" - where pieces made and designed by workers themselves, not as part of the normal ranges, are sold.
It bears some similarities to my "Petit Fleur" bowl, which is a small bowl of very thick glass, with colours and bubbles, but not in this sort of design. It's also a good bit bigger than my bowl, which is slightly under 3.5" in diameter and 1.5" tall. (sorry, can't find a cm tape measure atm).This piece is decidedly not Petit Fleur, though.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
Thank you both very much.  I really appreciate your help.  I want to sell this, but had no idea how to describe it or what it was - I was getting totally confused looking at all the designs thinking none of them quite fit.  It does have a possible flaw in that there appears to be a sliver off the edge of part of the ground bit of the base.  I thought it may be where it was finished off the rod and that grinding it flat would have taken away too much of the base.  Hubby insists it is a sliver off the edge :'(.   I'm hoping I am right and he is wrong and that it is still desirable as a one off.
Many thanks again.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »
I can see the "not-completely-round" finish on the base, I can't tell if it is actually damage - if you look at it through a magnifying glass, are there striations on the surface of the missing bit?
However, this is on the base, and although it's possibly a bit more than "age-related-wear", I reckon it's forgivable - but then, I'm quite forgiving of damage on something I really like that is a scarce or unusual piece.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »
thanks Sue  :kissy: you've made me feel better about it.  There don't look to be any striations (I don't know whether that means it is or not.)  That said it is on the edge of the ground area and away from the centre quite a bit therefore I suppose hubby could very well be right. 
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:28:05 AM »
A close up of the sliver might help.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
 :hi:
I've taken pics of my 3 small IoWSG thick bowls, to show shapes. The flattest one is the Petit Fleur, which has a triangular black label (better image in Anton's site!). The other two have the impressed "Flame" pontil mark, and a coloured, swirly pattern in them. As you can see from their profiles, the shapes and sizes were not standard, but the Petit Fleur does appear (to me at any rate) to be a different sort of beast - much flatter, like yours.
My perspective is a bit odd - I'm not tall enough to get the camera very far up, to look down on them.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/newstuff/bowls3.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/newstuff/bowls1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/newstuff/bowls2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/newstuff/bowls4.jpg

I don't think we should be looking too hard for exact dimensions, there was considerable variation and experimentation. Their motto is "Our best work will be done tomorrow." New designs are and were, being created all the time.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:32:45 PM »
ooh Sue they are lovely!  beautiful colours.
I have done two close ups of the 'chip'.  These are very closeup so make it look huge and I am not totally convinced it is a chip, but I don't know IOW glass.  The chip is not as angled as it looks and the lines on the side of the bowl are not scratches, they are in the shaping.  Anyway, either way still beautifully blown the more I look at it.
Edited to add, Ron Wheeler has kindly replied to my email with a very nice and informative response in which he says

' This is a very short lived item from a range called 'Paperweights, Eggs &
Lollipops etc'.
The range comprised several different shapes across a small range of items.
The range was in production between 1980  and 1983. This small bowl is not
in fact a one off but is not found very often as it was only in the range in
the first part of 1982.
   '

Thanks so much to you all for your help and also to Ron for replying. 
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:02:39 AM »
 :hiclp:

Ron (obviously!) knows a lot more about this sort of thing than I do! I can't find a reference to this "range" in the index of Mark's book. :huh:
Neither, now I look, is Petit Fleur.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand