No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso Vetri D'Arte 'Scavo' Floorlamp w/ Sculpted Bronze Base  (Read 5760 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Seguso Vetri D'Arte 'Scavo' Floorlamp w/ Sculpted Bronze Base
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »
In typical kanenator style...I had to fall in love with the most confusing of glass companies known to man!  :24:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 04:16:33 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Green  :sm: with envy  ---- that is Radio-active GREEN  :nk:

Nice  :hiclp:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 05:00:01 AM »
I'm just about to dash out, so I'll answer a few of the other issues later today - but on the age of the label, knowing little of Italian glass I was just going from the Murano 101 labels section: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9950

Whilst I instinctively tend to think of plastic labels as quite modern inventions, I do know that a few Scandi glass companies, like Riihimaki, were definitely using them in the 1960s.

Also, the lamp fittings seem quite 1970s - spraypainted Bakelite rather than heat-proof plastic. Although I don't know that much about Italian lighting, these fittings had been generally phased out in Scandi, German and UK lighting by the end of the 1970s.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
Nic

Heireman is very reliable, and so I would bet a bundle on the label being 1976 or later. I seem to remember hearing there was a lighting forum somewhere.which might be able to help, although getting designers for lighting can be difficult unless it's Venini.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »
Kane I've found out a little more about SVdA  and its labels.  The company changed its name to Seguso Vetri d'Arte in 1937, and Archimede Seguso didn't come into being until 1946 so there's something odd about at least one of the labels being on your piece if it is 1930's soffiati.

I think I implied that the company was inactive 1973-6. Not quite true. The name was changed to Sculture Aristico Muranese when Albarelli took over in 1973 with Angelo Seguso and Pino Signoretto as the master blowers. I wonder if anyone has ever seen anything with that label on it? That company went bankrupt in 1976, but Albarelli reorganized and restarted as SVdA before the end of the year. I think much of the confusion is caused by the company then producing a lot of the older designs and mixing them with newer designs.

Kane: I suppose you've seen  this web site http://www.segusovetridarte.it/  Not much on it, but it's there adn sems to say that the family members have taken over the company again.

David

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
I'd love to see a picture of your scavo with prunts if you get a chance.

Quick snapshot attached.

Are those nude boys? Not something one sees often in home decor.

Yup, they're very much 'in the buff'. I'm probably too used to Danish design, where male nudity is as common as female nudity, so it didn't even click that a bit of meat and two veg might be a bit peculiar for domestic interior design.  :-[

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »
... and [ahem] quite well hung they are, too.  :o I guess the nude female form is so ubiquitous we barely blink. My kids were embarrassed though - the eldest actually made little dresses for some of my glass figures.  :24:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »
Well that would help to prevent stress cracks  :24: :24:

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
David, I have just purchased the Archimede Seguso book. Wont arrive till early October  >:( and if only the SVdA book was out it might help shed some light on the situation.

I have some SVdA glasses that have the white square SVdA label on them which are from the late 30's/early 40's. With Archimede being the glass blower up until 1942 at SVdA, maybe the the other 2 pieces are from around the time he left and the label transition? Just a thought. I don't think the pieces are suspect or fake and I believe all the pieces were made by Archimede Seguso. I have some pictures some where so I might put them up so we don't hijack Nic's thread.

In the interim I have left these pieces as research for later once I have more information available.

I have seen the SVdA website and hopefully one of the family members will get around to doing a thorough history on the company in the future would be extremely helpful for us SVdA buffs.  ;D

Ladies...keep it clean!!!  ;)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 01:00:22 AM »
Kane:

Which Archimede book did you buy? I keep looking for the SVdA book to come out as it would fill a big hole in my knowledge. What I don't understand is that someone on the GMB said some years ago that they had seen an advance copy from Ardnoldische, and yet nothing more has appeared.

I'd love to see pictures of your glasses when you get a chance.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand