No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please with Identifying a possible Frantisek Vizner vase.  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Re: Help please with Identifying a possible Frantisek Vizner vase.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 06:40:33 AM »
Fascinating as always Jindrich, thanks for sharing. I expect you have lots of these vases as well. :)
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 07:29:10 AM »
Those at Vizner's exhibiton are from my collection :-)

Frantisek Vizner has only very few pieces from his pressed and Skrdlovice designs. So exhibition is prepared from my and Maxim Velcovsky's collections, Vizner supplies his cut glass pieces.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 08:09:24 AM »
Those at Vizner's exhibiton are from my collection :-)

Jindrich

How wonderful!  (and Jindrich, you are a very lucky man to have such a beautiful collection  :))

Offline ryl2468

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »
Thank you very much Jindrich for sharing your knowledge with us all.Collecting glass becomes more and more enjoyable particularly when you learn about the history of glass designers such as Vizner.Jindrich do you know how different colours were used for this design.Secondly are these pieces rare.Thanks very much.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »
I think $90-$100 would be a good price if you are looking at keeping the piece for a while before resale and you can find the right buyer.

But as always with glass it is hard tell especially with the Australian market as it is mainly an 'uncultured' lot in that respect.

I don't know much about Czech glass but I paid 2/3 of that price for my Rosice 1272 pieces each and I assumed that would be market value here. Thank God i won!!!

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 08:54:31 AM »
Vizner's 13139 is one of my absolute favourite designs, for some reason! I love the smoothness of the lines, and what the thick glass does to the colour.

Firstly: I can't say this would be a rarity since I've seen so many and only purchased some of them but surely it seems to be more scarce in some corners of the globe than others. I remember having learned from Marcus N:s book that the major part of the Sklo union production was exported so it is just a matter of which designs and where. This supposedly applies to colours too.

Secondly: global pricing is therefore hard too. I wouldn't pay 90 AUD ! :Rather max 20....  ::)

Speaking of colours, and as our Viznerologist is available, :)  I have been wondering the information found on this design. It seems it was produced in Rudolfova but still in the (Marcus N.)  sklounion.com site Hermanova is mentioned. Is this old and later corrected information or would this design have been produced in both?

In the mentioned book colours used in these different factories are listed and I am somewhat puzzled;  Amber is not mentioned for Rudolfova for example, neither turquoise. (as they are for Hermanova)

Jindrich, would you be able to clarify this aspect for us? Different colours having been produced, in which factory(ies) and I suppose timewise up to the 90´s ? Thank you, in advance.  :rah:

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 09:01:25 AM »
Just to add. If I found it for a $A20 in the Aussie market...it would be quickly resold. The Australian market is a lot different compared to the UK, EU and US.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »
This piece has been originaly manufactured in Rudolfova hut, see the original technical drawing -"RH" means Rudolfova hut, pattern number 13139 is there and also the number of "VR 558" - VR = Vytvarna rada (Art comitee) that had agreed this design for manufacturing.
I have no information about fabrication of this piece in Hermanova hut, but transfering moulds in between VHJ Obalove sklo (later Sklo Union) was quite common, so it could be manufactured also in Hermanova.

http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/FrantiisekViznerRudolfovaHut13139200?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_g2-3dltiwUg#

Colours is special issue.
Designer had no influence on manufactured colours, generaly he always designed the piece in clear. Sklo Union had set of standardised colours in manufacturing programme but we can find much more other colour tones becouse of technology used. I suppose that nobody is able to specify in what colours was each pattern manufactured, Vizner personaly also does not know it. Therefore I have made the catalogue of Vizner's pressed glass pieces in black and white.

This vase was produced only in old Czechoslovakia, not after 1990 in Czech republic. This shape is not rare, it was very popular and common in 60ties here. Unfortunately, becouse vases had been widely used, the most pieces you can find here are damaged or as minimum have some awfull water marks.

Jindrich

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »
although I thanked in advance, I have to say it again: Thank you, Jindrich! So very interesting !  :rah:

I thought I'd also say that in addition to the colours seen in my picture I have seen pictures of a steel gray one and a dark green as well as a transparent clear one in this design but no more so far.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 10:05:24 AM »
Wish they were common here, I can't find one for love nor money. Don't seem to come up on Ebay either.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand