No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight - what is this please?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Isle of Wight - what is this please?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »
Unfortunately it looks like a chip to me. Sometimes these occur when the base is being ground but they are generally much smaller and though they were acceptable on early pressed glass I would say that this is either post-sale damage or a second. The base isn't polished either. Is that OK for early IoW? If not then it's a second.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Isle of Wight - what is this please?
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
I can see striations in the chip, I'm afraid, so I agree with Christine.
Most of my IoWSG bits don't have flat bottoms, but the well-shaped base and the flame logo.
My Petit Fleur has a heat finished base - it's shiney, but wrinkled, I have another small early piece which is the same (shiney, but wrinkled).
I have two mushroom things which do not look like seconds to me, but have ground, rather than polished, bases - however, I haven't yet had them positively id'd as IoWSG.
Thanks for the reminder that I need to find this out! :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand