No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Extra large console bowl + amazing design uranium green glass - ID = Cambridge  (Read 11554 times)

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Hello everyone again
I have just aquired this bowl today it is absolutely huge I have never had a bowl this big before!
It is in a lovely uranium green glass the underside is frosted while the surface is satin.It is decorated with a stylised scene of native Americans hunting buffalo while on horseback.
Any ideas please?
Many thanks in advance!
Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Extra large console bowl with amazing design uranium green glass
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Cambridge Glass 1339 Everglades Buffalo Hunt Scene

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead

Frosted is satin; I think you mean shiny. How huge? 14 inches? The Walther Seerose comes close at 13 inches

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »
Hi Christine
I have measured the bowl from end to end and it is more like 16inches!
Yes frosted/satin Shiny on top.Thankyou very much for the info link I would love that colour aswell!
One of the nicest bowls I have seen!
Nige

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
Well congrats Nige thats quite a find. The 16" Cambridge Everglade Buffalo Scene bowl consistantly sells for $275+  here in the US & they are very hard to find.  The one in the URL was mine. Ken

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:40:30 AM »
Hi Ken
Thanks for that! The amber is lovely or cinnamon as it is called in the link.
Got mine for a bargain price of £19.99 I was the only bidder!
I have also just purchased a part clear part frosted bowl made by Reich with the feet as elves/boys for £5!!!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
Lucky man!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Love the buffalo bowl Nige!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:32:09 PM »
Very nice item. Imperial made a few of these in milk glass in the 1950s or 60s in the shape just as it comes from the mould ... about the size of medium punch bowl. The mould went to Summit Art Glass in the mid-1980s when Imperial closed, and they made a few in opaque brown Chocolate glass. Now that Summit has closed, the mould might be owned by Mosser and/or Rosso Wholesale Glass.

Fenton owns a few of the original Everglades moulds, but not this one. And, don't ask what a Buffalo is doing in the Everglades!
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:15:52 PM »
James all Cambridge molds, every single one of them Summit still owned are now in the possession of the National Cambridge Collectors. No one else has any of the Summit Cambridge molds Russ owned up until his unfortunate passing. We've had them for a year & a half now. Matter of fact they were just inventoried & placed in an NCC secured storage building. Summit made those five prototype flying lady bowls & I (personal opinion) believe that threw a scare into the organization so after 6 months of negotiations they were all purchased to make certain there would be no reproductions from overseas. Ken  

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:54:19 AM »
Would add my congratulations also to Nige - lovely bowl and a good price :)       Also very heartwarming to hear the comments from Ken, with respect to placing some of these older moulds out of reach of replicators.   It is the scourge of genuine collectors and authors when older patterns are reproduced and sold in the market place, often as originals.    Aside from the deception from a monetary point of view, there is the far more important aspect that genuine original production figures become permanently muddled, and leads to confusion all round, especially in the literature.    Whilst no expert on the over-use of period moulds, it is a fact that when used for too long the end results lose the sharpness and appeal of originals.   Unfortunately, it seems that wherever there is a demand, there is someone ready to cash in on the needs of a collector. 

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:04:57 AM »
Here here Paul! You are so right in what you say!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand