No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink Frosted Egyptian Head Deco Pot? Id Help Please  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Pink Frosted Egyptian Head Deco Pot? Id Help Please
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
I picked this item up a few weeks ago, thought it had a nice Art Deco shape to it. Not sure what it would have been used for it is quite large at 5 and a half inches wide and six inches in height to tip of the nose of the Egyptian. I was beginning to think that it might be a modern item but then I saw one on Ebay that is uranium. They state that it is from 1937 and attribute it to Walther. Obviously Ebay is not a reliable source but I was wondering if anyone could confirm this?

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Pink Frosted Egyptian Head Deco Pot? Id Help Please
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:35:21 AM »
At that size it's probably a powder bowl for use with a fluffy powder puff. I'm pretty sure it's not Walther. Found it, it may be American. Maker unknown; no one is sure who or what Taussaunt was. [LINK REMOVED]

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
At that size it's probably a powder bowl for use with a fluffy powder puff. I'm pretty sure it's not Walther. Found it, it may be American. Maker unknown; no one is sure who or what Taussaunt was. [LINK REMOVED]

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead.

Great thanks for that, I have been trying to find out for a long time some more about it but couldn't find another one anywhere. I didn't think the Walther attribution was right as my Mum has books with the catalogues in and I have never seen it in there also thanks for explaining the usage.

Your searching skills never cease to amaze me :)

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »
Not really. It's just we forget to look at American glass and the Chataboutdg forum has a really good reference gallery, so I started there.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »
Certainly true that I didn't think of America and I had joined chatabout dg after you had mentioned it in another thread. I have found out more about the company who are associated with these pots now and as well. Very interesting stuff.

Amazing what you find in charity shops in suburban Kent. Although I suppose the company might have supplied department stores here with their products.
― Henry Ford

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
The Whitmyer book on bedroom/bathroom glassware shows this piece in black and frosted yellow (looks like cerium yellow rather than uranium yellow) as well as frosted pink. Names used by collectors include Sphinx and King Tut.

In addition to some being marked Taussaunt" some have a paper label "Dermay 5th Ave. NY Bath Powder". This Dermay label is also seen on other articles which also bear labels saying "Wrisley Quality" ... and that label points us to the Wrisley Co. in Chicago, Illinois. They contracted with a variety of glass companies in the 1920s-30s to have powder jars and perfume bottles made, as they did not manufacture glass.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:26:55 AM »
The Whitmyer book on bedroom/bathroom glassware shows this piece in black and frosted yellow (looks like cerium yellow rather than uranium yellow) as well as frosted pink. Names used by collectors include Sphinx and King Tut.

In addition to some being marked Taussaunt" some have a paper label "Dermay 5th Ave. NY Bath Powder". This Dermay label is also seen on other articles which also bear labels saying "Wrisley Quality" ... and that label points us to the Wrisley Co. in Chicago, Illinois. They contracted with a variety of glass companies in the 1920s-30s to have powder jars and perfume bottles made, as they did not manufacture glass.

Interesting. Dermay apparently produced a wide range of cosmetics and as well as Taussant some of their bottles and containers were made by Tiffin glass. So I suppose this could be one of the companies that Wrisley used, that is if all Dermay glass was obtained via Wrisley.

It's all a bit of an enigma wrapped in a puzzle.
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand