No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Thousand Windows  (Read 5064 times)

Offline lashpierce

• Members
Orrefors Thousand Windows
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
Last weekend my wife and I purchased a bowl and vase - we are trying to find out insurance value (if any) for same. We have identified that they are of the "Thousand Windows" style.
The engraving on the bottom of the bowl is: "orrefors g 0395-131" it stands 5" high and is 27" wide at the top
The engraving on the vase is: "orrefors GA 1506/36" it stands 7.5" high and is just over 5.5" wide at the top
Thanks for the help and guidance

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Orrefors Thousand Windows
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:07:05 PM »
I sold a Simon Gate Thousand Windows bowl in perfect condition a little while ago.   I'm not sure what it's 'insurance value' would be, but here is my finished listing on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230501101478   :)
The engraving on the bottom of the bowl is: "orrefors g 0395-131" it stands 5" high and is 27" wide at the top

I wonder if these measurements are quite right? 

I am not a man

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 06:46:32 AM »
Are you sure the engraving on the bottom of the bowl isn't GA 395-131, which fits in with the Orrefors numbering system? I don't think they ever used the zero at the beginning. I was going to suggest that we would need to see photographs of the pieces before even giving a ballpark figure for a value. However, Cathy's list of links gives you a pretty good idea of the range of values. Value depends upon where you sell it, what collectors see it, and without being entirely facetious, phases of the moon.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:23:59 AM »
... and whether the piece is cracked, chipped, nibbled, scratched, scuffed, cloudy or damaged in any other way. Damage will reduce the value hugely.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:19:51 AM »
Good morning

The management of Orrefors produced various forms and sizes of the "Thousand Window" designs well  into the
late 1980's and early 1990's.

The large forms were eliminated from production in the late 1980's.

The insurance value can be defined depending on the policy as replacement cost - the value to replace the piece with like kind or quality - or actual cash value- the replacement cost less depreciation.

In either case, the value for your two forms would not be high with so many produced.

Bill Geary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand