No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gorgeous Riihimaen huge vase but who was the designer???  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Pat

• Members
Gorgeous Riihimaen huge vase but who was the designer???
« on: December 12, 2005, 03:39:36 PM »
I just acquired this absolutely gorgeous Riihimaen vase 10" tall and weighs 1.5kgs. I think it is Nanny Still but need confirmation as it could be Siiroinen. Anyone know?? Thanks Pat.

http://tinypic.com/igk8i9.jpg

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 03:45:33 PM »
Haven't a clue Pat, but just had to say - what a fabulous piece :P  Haven't seen one like this before.
Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 10:44:55 AM »
Hi Pat

I'll have a look through my book later and see if it's Nanny Still.  I had a quick flip through it yesterday and couldn't see it amongst her work, but I'll have a proper look later today and check out some other people too.
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:51:36 PM »
Hi

It looks that like that amazing yellow that Riihimaen did, I don't own a piece in this colour and wonder if it glows under UV - it looks like it should  :shock:

Ref the general shape and use of motifs I vote Tamara Aladin - any chance of a label close up or is it the round gold foil with lynx motif?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:16:14 PM »
Hi David, Yes it is the amazing yellow and goes nuclear under UV light. I have several pieces in this yellow including a Siiroinen locomotiv. The label is the round gold one with black lynx and says Riihimaen Lasi, Made In Finland.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 06:38:38 PM »
Thanks Pat

I have other 60s makers in that exact same eye popping colour way - I have loads of Pala vases but none in the uranium which is weird as it was not uncommon in that colour

So the label is right for Aladin - what do you think Max?

Max, what is that dedicated Riihimaen (Riihimaki) book you use, I want to buy a copy and can't remember the name, is it old, will I need to but from bookfinder or Amazon - how much should I expect to pay?

I have just ordered the Ysart book 'ouch' what a price at $180.00 for a 1990's book

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 07:08:02 PM »
Yes please Max I could do with a copy of that book also. Then I might be of more help to some people!

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 01:53:43 AM »
Hi Pat

You can buy on this website called 'Designlasin hintakirja' - 39 Euros

http://www.antiikkijataidekirjat.com/index.html?target=dept_6.html

Lots of other books there on little known factories like 'Humppila lasitehdas tienvarrella'

Sorry Pat I remembered the name of the book and googled to this site

Adam

mmm site is all in Finnish I think - easy to buy from with a little effort ... I think

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 09:20:58 AM »
Thanks for that Adam but is the book all in Finnish or printed in English??

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »
Pat,
If it says "Teksti englanti" next to the book, it means that the book text is English. Hope this helps.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand