No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gorgeous Riihimaen huge vase but who was the designer???  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Pat

• Members
Gorgeous Riihimaen huge vase but who was the designer???
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 10:29:43 AM »
Thanks Della. Appears NOT to be in English so I am wondering how much use the book will be to me.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 10:35:13 AM »
Sorry, I've been really busy.  Unless this book has been re-written in the last few months, and it looks exactly like mine on the site Adam linked to, then it's pretty much all in Finnish.

There's a small Finnish-English dictionary at the back and a blurb in English, but all descriptions, price, colours etc are in Finnish.  However, this book is excellent for checking the drawings (not photos) to see who designed what.  It covers: Alvar Aalto, Kaj Franck, Saara Hopea, Gunnel Nyman, Timo Sarpaneva, Nanny Still, Helena Tynell & Tapio Wirkkala.

Email me on my 'email button' below and I'll help further.
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 10:07:42 PM »
Thanks Max

I have no problem with it being in a different language, it's just getting it that holds a problem to me LOL

Pat I have posted a thread in 'Glass' asking if anyone can translate the sites buying page for me, I have sent them an email in the meantime

The book is £27.00 with free post I think it is saying - not bad

And they have many other highly recommended books at good prices

Meanwhile anyone who knows of an English site that has as many good out of print and hard to find glass books - please post

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 10:13:01 PM »
Adam I also look forward to seeing any replies about how to order! Thank you for asking about it.

Pat

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 07:26:37 PM »
Here is a link to a web page with the order form in English.  This website has also some sample pages of the book (in English and Finnish).

http://www.designlasi.fi/index.php?page_id=279

TMaritta

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 08:39:18 PM »
Ooops! I managed to navigate the Finnish site and pay byr credit card but only the €39 it asked for :oops:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand