No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this vase murano or is it a Copy.  (Read 1738 times)

Offline ryl2468

• Members
Is this vase murano or is it a Copy.
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:42:28 AM »
Hi there everyone.Would anyone be able to help me ascertain if this vase is Murano.  If not is it a copied Murano shape and design..I have seen many vases like this one being sold on ebay.In saying that the seller is honest and states that the product is new.With the new ones in this shape I have noticed that the colour is different to mine,in particular the amber colour.The new ones that I have seen look somewhat orange instead of amber. Also the new ones are always listed at weighing approx 3.4 kilos.Where as my vase weighs approx 2.7kilos. Correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't see how there could be a 700 gramme difference if for example my vase was also new and made by the same maker.Thanks in advance.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is this vase murano or is it a Copy.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:43:40 AM »
Your vase does not look like Murano glass to me. Regarding the other things, I would really need to see the vases you were referring to before guessing that they were the same design or maker. 700 g is a good bit of difference. Are the vases the same dimensions otherwise?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ryl2468

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:45:52 AM »
Thanks very much for your input.Yes they are the exact same dimensions.If this isn't Murano,would you have any idea of its origin.Thanks very much.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:14:03 AM »
??  Hi, just happen to stubble on this one here (but looks like it is on a base) but the style looks the same.  Click Here

The one in the Link was made by Fun Art Studio ??? (rating 98.5%)  Not to say yours is, but I happened to just stubble on this about an hour after reading your post. 

So just thought I would add....but just a guess (?????)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »
A couple of weeks back I stumbled upon a Japanese shop in a Westfields (cringes at the idea that I had to go into one), and saw a few pieces of glass with this style of multi-coloured sommerso. These ones I have seen on ebay which is quite frequently I have thought of as Oriental.

Offline ryl2468

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
Hi there everyone.Thanks for information.I'm not too worried about the vase I only paid $15 for it.I can use it as a door stop  :ha: What is interesting is whether there actually ever was a similar design made by Murano.Obviously this is a Murano inspired piece or may be a copy.Thanks.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
Within the FUNArtStudio eBay (shop?) details, there is a section headed "New Arrivals". That suggests to me that the Studio is probably not a maker, but a retail outlet.

Many of the items they have for sale are clearly of Chinese origin, especially many of the paperweights which are known Chinese designs. Some of the items are described as "Italian made ..." but many are simply titled "... handmade ...".
KevinH

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:23:41 AM »
If you check to see what Funarts pieces actually sell for, you'll see that the vast majority go for 0.01 cents, with the occasional piece going for $5.00 or, gasp, even $10.00. But $15 isn't a bad prices, as if you check the postage, you'll see that it's often as high $68.00

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ryl2468

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 04:44:54 AM »
Hi everyone.Thank you for your help. :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand