No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Reference Books  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Murano Reference Books
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:24:57 AM »
I've been reorganising my bookshelves this weekend gone, and I've realised that I don't have anything in the way of reference for Venetian glass, except for a single exhibition catalogue dealing with the Renaissance through to the 19th Century, and chapters in broad 20th century glass books of questionable reliability.

Are there any good general reference books that folk could recommend? I'll look into more factory/design-specific works when I find a surer footing in this area.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Murano Reference Books
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:23:11 AM »
Not even if I ask nicely, pretty please and thank you very much?  ;D

I have enough terrible books dealing with other areas of glass - I don't really want to waste money adding to that particular pile if I can help it.

Ta muchly.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:17:55 AM »
Murano is a bit of an issue. I have quite a large library of Murano books, and they all suffer from the pretense factor: full size full colour photographs of museum pieces, impenetrable text, high cost and bad indexing. I think Leslie Piña books (I do not know the Murano ones!) should cover be more accessible and findable pieces, even if inaccuracies are reported. But most books just have the wrong price/information ratio. IMHO, of course.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:59:03 AM »
Oh, I know the perils of generalist books - the same caveat as 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

I've only one Piña book - Smoke & Ice - and I'd probably put it in the useless pile. That said, if I were just starting out in Scandinavian glass it probably would give me a decent idea of what to expect.

I'll see if I can acquire an inexpensive Piña or two - cheers, Ivo.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »
When you first asked, I thought of Leslie Pina's Italian Glass Century 20. It is a good Murano primer. I've not noticed any real problems with it. I thought you might be looking for something more scholarly and researched. If you're looking for descriptions of techniques, Rosa Barovier Mentasti's Venetian Glass or Marc Heiremans Murano Glass, Themes and Variation are probably best.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:05:07 PM »
Oh, no, I wanted something really quite basic and general. I know next to nothing about Italian glass, which is a bit silly when you consider its influence on 20th Century design, and just wanted a few semi-reliable texts with which to start learning the essentials. I've got more books on American glass than I have for Italian, and I don't even buy American glass!  ::) ;D

I've already looked into getting Themes & Variations - it seems to be quite a well-respected title. I'll keep an eye out for the Barovier Mentasti title too.

Thanks for the suggestions.  :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 06:25:47 AM »
Nothing much  to add, more to confirm. I see Pina as being most useful when you are starting to collect lower end  Murano, but it doesn't lead you to anywhere near an understanding of Murano, or the techniques.  The Heiremans and Mentasti explain Murano style and techniques with illustrations from high end glass, but you can see those same techniques in lower end pieces.

Having shown my preference, I have to add that, rather than make a choice, I'd buy all three, or at least Heiremans and Pina (and then buy Mentasti a week later).

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:17:23 AM »
I was looking through my books tonight and realized I had made a mistake. A better general reference book is Marino Barovier's Venetian Art Glass, instead of Menstasi's book. Both are good, but I consider Marino's book to be more useful. It is organized by companies and similarities. It is confusing when the title of so many books are much the same.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 12:07:46 PM »
Well I've not got around to looking properly for books yet, as I've been instead spending all my money on Murano glass.  :-[

I'm not buying *too* blindly, though. I hope. (I'm a sucker for SVd'A and Cenedese scavo glass, aas well as 'Memphis'-inspired 1980s post-modernism, it seems)

But I am taking note of any titles to look out for in the near future, so it's all very much appreciated.

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »
I use the Marino Barovier's Venetian Art Glass too. It is well organized and it features some artists and factories infos in the first part.
For historical information my suggestion would be for Luigi Zecchin "Vetro e i vetrai di Murano".

The main problem with most part of the italian Murano books is that they are written by the same group of 4-5 people. they have their favourite artists and they completely forghet al the others.
There is no research for new talents and no way to see published other good glassworks if not produced by the usual big names (Barbini, Seguso, Venini, Tagliapietra etc.). If an exceptional master glassmaker is not part of this "connection", he doesn't exist in any book...

So imho, there isn't a real-reference book about real-contemporary Murano glass.

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand