No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Reference Books  (Read 8539 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano Reference Books
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »
I agree with Alex so much. Another problem I see with the books is that there are certain favorite pieces for the companies. Heiremans attempted to correct this problem in his book on Dino Martens by adding the catalog of designs. I consider his book to be the best Murano book published to date because of the superior catalog.

I would very much like to see a book that includes the Ferros, Nasons, Morettis (beyond Carlos) and Zanettis and other people that probably most of us have never heard of. I would also enjoy seeing books on the newer glass (1970s and beyond). I think new books would help to perk the interest of collectors in the work of new artists. The only ones we hear about are those with ties to the old companies or who have caught the interest of the old families (e.g., Ohira).
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »
Well I've finally taken the plunge, and have got Mentasti's Venetian Glass and Barovier's Venetian Art Glass on order - spotted the two for under £45 (inc. P&P) on Amazon, which I was quite happy about.  ;D

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
I was looking at these books, tell me what you think of them.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 11:21:35 AM »
Still awaiting their arrival - one of the worst things about buying online, I think.  ;D

I'm contemplating acquiring a factory-specific book for Venini - I've a couple of early Scarpa pieces that I want to know more about. Logic dictates that getting the Catalogue Raisonne 1921-1986 would probably be the best option for a niggly fact-checker like me. Or are there any alternate titles better to invest in?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 06:09:26 AM »
I prefer Franco Deboni, Venini Glass, 2 volumes (with the rest of the info coming from Amazon).
# Hardcover: 528 pages
# Publisher: Umberto Allemandi (August 25, 2007)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 8842215244
# ISBN-13: 978-8842215240
# Product Dimensions: 13.8 x 10 x 2.5 inches
# Shipping Weight: 9.9 pounds

It usually costs a fortune but it does turn up occasionally at a very reasonable price. It has more glass in it and the catalogues are reproduced  in a bigger format than in the Catalog Raisonne.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, but drat, I got impatient and ordered the Catalogue Raisonne last night. Still, it wasn't too expensive.

I did, earlier in the year, see a bookseller at a fair offering the 2-volume Deboni title for a really nugatory sum - this was before I became interested in Italian glass. Completely kicking myself now for not getting it. I'll have to see if I can track them down.

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 12:51:28 AM »
Which book

ITALIAN GLASS BY LESLIE PINA

Venetian Art Glass - Marino Borovier

:sm: Mainly for reference

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
Righty, so I've Mentasti's "Venetian Glass" and Barovier's "Venetian Art Glass" - personally, I prefer the former because there's a slightly wider range of factories, and because there's more text to wrap my chops around. But they're both great books, so thanks for the recommendations.

I also cancelled the order for the single-volume Venini book and tracked down the bookseller with the two-volume tome. I got it for less than the single one. A great title with great images and the catalogue reprints should come in very handy. Unfortunately, it's a bit sketchy on the particular Scarpa pieces I wanted to better identify - so they may be appearing on here shortly.  :angel:

Offline kendrav

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano
    • USA
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
I noticed that this is an old thread and I was wondering if there are any new books that one would recommend.  I did not want to start another thread asking the same question.  :)
I did look up the one's already mentioned.
I'm looking to buy a all around reference book on the lower end of Murano glass. 

What is your go tooo book to simply look up an item to get an idea of what it is and what it *maybe* worth?  (I have been given the job of selling off a collection---> and I don't want to misrepresent an item)
These books seem to be pretty pricey and I don't have the money to buy them all.   :'(

Also I would like a book that goes into the different makers and techniques.

I may dive in more deeply later (as I seem to have caught the Murano bug) but right now I just need some help with identifying some of the pieces I have. 

This forum has been so very helpful but I don't want to keep flooding it with my ID questions.  :-\

Thanks!!

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 05:02:08 AM »
Hi Pinkspoons. I picked up a generalist book from Amazon UK. It was very reasonable >$20 and it is a very small approx 7" x 5" size, but has a fair amount of glass in it for a small book. I would give you more details about name and writer but we have just moved and all is chaos..

I bought it because all my books are packed away and I don't want to wade through 1000 books looking for my glass ref books.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand